My VR6 turbo, Haldex 4wd. The end....

Thought it was about time i started a new thread up on my build.

I've been at it for over a year now, so i'l try and place my library of pictures on slowly with some sort of explination about them!

Firstly, my innocent 1993 vr, after a good scrub ;-)

fairfieldengineeringjobs128.jg

fairfieldengineeringjobs129.jpg

• Replies 732
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah just been waiting for the bucket to do its thing!

The strip down begins!

2019.jpg

Engine out

vr6turbo005.jpg

vr6turbo004.jpg

Steam cleaned lump and box after removal

vr6turbo001.jpg

vr6turbo002.jpg

Then seperated gearbox and engine. Found this, i think its whats left of my clutch!

vr6turbo009.jpg

Off came the rocker cover

Image011.jpg

Nothing to worry about in there which was a nice feeling!

Then the head came off, i'm sure that vw could have squeezed a few more head bolts in!

vr6turbo012.jpg

vr6turbo011.jpg

vr6turbo010.jpg

there be some slack pistons in that there block..

vr6turbo013.jpg

vr6turbo014.jpg

vr6turbo008.jpg

vr6turbo015.jpg

Then the striping began!

vr6tproject007.jpg

vr6tproject008.jpg

vr6tproject006.jpg

vr6tproject009.jpg

vr6tproject011.jpg

vr6tproject010.jpg

After the strip, got the block cleaned and bored out at my local engineering place, to fit 83mm Woosner vr6 turbo pistons, and it had a light skim. Should be near on 3.0l now!

Also bought, with the pistons, Woosner h section con rods, which look the nuts!

Image002.jpg

Image045.jpg

Image047.jpg

keep it coming dude.

have you started with a standard fwd mk3? done any work on the rear end yet? and what kind of power you aiming for?

tom

Yes started with a fwd mk3 vr6. i'l keep adding pictures as time allows, but yes rear ends coming along nicely!

I'm hoping to get about 500bhp initially, thats what i'm building the fuel system to cope with anyway.

Thanks for the support peeps ;-)

Thought i'd update;

While the block was bein bored, and i was waiting for my pistons/rods, i spoke to Mat at QEP about my head. He said he can do a full strip, clean, light skim, then do his 3-angle valve job on all valves. It was rebuild with the original springs and tappets, but a new pair of VR6 TURBO CAT CAMS.

You can see the head in the previous picture, in the background, on the bench!

I would have gone for larger valves, solid lifters etc but i'm going to leave that for an upgrade later on ;-)

Not many pictures on the build i'm affraid. I can tell you that i spent a small fortue at VW on components for the build! Big / main end shells, oil seals, chains, tensioners, oil pump, gaskets, main end cap bolts (rods came with arp jobies!), etc.

Right, about May time last year, i found a mk2 golf syncro rear axle, complete, but it was miles away! Then the next day found a bloke that was selling 90% of the drivetrain off of a mk4 golf R32! So i had 2 lots of parts to pick up, my van an a long day of driving ahead of me! 1 was in Wales, the other near Stanstead, London!!!!!

It was well worth it! (i think i slightly overloaded my van!!)

vr6tproject018.jpg

vr6tproject020.jpg

vr6tproject022.jpg

vr6tproject021.jpg

mk2project006.jpg

Once i had all the running gear back at my workshop, i set about striping the rear subframe ready for shot-blasting. But first i made a jig so that i could line the haldex up, so it would sit right on the subframe. I then striped off all the old bracketry that held on the old syncro diff, aswel as the brakes, bearings, an bushes off of the arms. I sent all of that and the front arms, subframe, anything black off to the shot blasters.

mk2project007.jpg

mk2project009.jpg

Once that was back, i fabricated the boxy looking bracket that would support the diff.

vr6tproject032.jpg

Then sent all the rear bits, long with the front subframe, arms, anti-roll bars, etc off to be powder coated black.

vr6tproject036-1.jpg

vr6tproject038-1.jpg

Then came back looking as good as new!

Next stage, cutting a big hole in my boot! Took me a couple of minutes to come around to the thought, but got straight in there and cut out the spare wheel well. Temporary fitted the rear subframe and started fitting the cross-brace i made.

vr6tproject055.jpg

vr6tproject056.jpg

1009.jpg

1010.jpg

I then started plating the space left between the brace and the original floor of the boot.

1014.jpg

fair play geez.. much better way of doing it over welding in a sycro floor pan imo. looks more strate forward than it sounds.

how long has the hole project taken you so far?

what you using to control the diff?

Up to date i've been at it for over a year now, most evenings, weekends, just when ever i find time!

For the diff control i'm going to keep it simple. A switch on the dash to simply turn the pump on and off, then some sort of valve that will control the flow of oil that gets pumped to the clutch plates, increasing or de-creasing drive to the rear.