Hi,

my MOT is due this week, and I am pretty sure I'll need some new pads.

sorry but lots of questions?

I have 96 on a P, is that 288mm disks?

Wanting to upgrade pads (Pagid seem popular), is it worth it without upgrading disks too?

and do i need to do all 4 corners - i.e if its just the front pads needing replacement is just doing the front worthwile

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Howdee, if you're going to the trouble of replacing pads, you should definitely replace the discs too. It's best to do this becasue the new pad will be nice and flat faced, but the old disc will be slightly grooved and the two will not mate properly. May even lead to imbalance from left to right - there's no way of knowing. If you have new pads AND discs you will have nice even braking from the start.

If your rears don't need replacing just leave them as is. I have fast road pads on the front and regular pads on the rear. The rear pads never get as hot as the front ones, so it's not so important to have FRP's on there. I got new discs from gsf. They are Brembo OEM type - and combined with the FRP's (Pagid) the car stops noticably better. The brakes have never faded either, and I have got them really boody hot.

Last thing - if you're concerned that having FRP's on the front and regular pads on the back will affect your brake balance - yes this is probably the case. However I have found it is beneficial to shift the balance slightly forwards. The car is certainly more stable - less tail happy - under very hard braking. I think the brake balance on the VR6 was designed for less grippy tires than those we use today - which under heavy braking really put a load on the front tyres, hence using the extra brakes on the front properly. Mine stops like a goodun.

All the best, JK

thanks for the comprehensive response !

the problem I have is that I am a tightarse and don't like upgrading/replacing things that aint broke ! The disks are less than a year old and no signs of warping, but the pads are getting low

my right foot says yes - my wallet says no

That's pretty impressive mate - I obviously don't cane it as hard as you ;) I hit mad speeds most mornings but I can go for miles without really using my brakes properly, but then every now and again when it's time to get everything mad hot they come in very handy.

Down the Hartside Pass at full whack for example :)http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/hartside.htm