Correct Engine oil for my VR6

Hi Chaps, I've recently aquired a 1997 Golf Vr6 and need to top up the engine oil. I went down to my local Les Smith and the best oil they had was some Magnatec by Castrol ( i think).

Personally i'm thinking Mobil 1 would be better?? A mate has suggested VW's own brand for the VR6 (cant remember what its called). Any one offer any suggestions or advice? Also whilst your at it... whats the best Fuel to use? I'm just running on normal Unleaded by Esso....Would use super unleaded but its going up in price even more!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

buying a VR6 is not about fuel ecnomy its one of the best v6 engines around that gives geat performance with any turbos.

lots of dealerships use magnatic as standard, vr's run 10-40..........my vr has always run on it no problems :)

[ Edited Tue Jun 01 2004, 12:13PM ]

As for fuel super unleaded is a higher octaine so the theory would be the car will perform better.......i use optimax as i think my car appears to run better but others dont like it and use bp super unleaded so on....at the end of the day there all much of a muchness

[ Edited Tue Jun 01 2004, 12:21PM ]

The VW place where I get mine serviced use the VW stuff (Quantum semi synthetic) Lindvale VW in Colchester use Mobil 1... I think theres another thread on here about this somewhere and the petrol question has been debated as well so might be worth doing a search.

Petrol wise I usually use optimax... might not make any difference but certainly won't do any harm

Guest Olly_K

the only harm optimax does is to your wallet ! been using 10-40 castrol gtx in mine and it loves it !

Stopped using optimax cos its so expensive and i was getting less miles to the tank than of normal petrol, but im back on it now. BLOODY ADVERTISING !

I use Synta Semi Synthetic (Silver) as thats what the local dealership always used on it.

As for petrol I use BP super, not sure is does much more, it certainly seems to run better on it (not that I can remember the last time I didn't use it!) but can't do any harm now can it? Apart from to my wallet! I know I have to run my Mk2 GTI on it or it starts to pink.

thanks for the advice chaps.

Also my VR6 is drinkin fuel like a fish. Its only doing about 190miles on a full tank! The diagnostics were recently checked and the car came out almost 100% clear. I'm not even driving like a hooligan!!

Also my VR6 is drinkin fuel like a fish. Its only doing about 190miles on a full tank! The diagnostics were recently checked and the car came out almost 100% clear. I'm not even driving like a hooligan!!

Welcome to vr world :P:P;)

I've only had the car for 3 weeks, I love the engine but am thinking of selling it as 23mpg is a bit stupid for a golf, worse than a bloody Jag XJR 4.0 Litre!!

Its a 1997 done 80k with history and is mystic Blue, mint through out and totally standard, still has the Original mud flaps. £4300 if anyone interested?!!

Any sort of semi synthetic seems to be the way to go oil wise as full synthetic has too many chemicals/cleaning agents in an can cause small oil leaks on higher mileage engines, as for fuel at Esso , just don't buy it from there, or BP(its a long story, check my posting on fuel prices) if you are gonna run on normal fuel ie 95 ron you might aswell get it from any supermarket which tends to be a bit cheaper most of the time anyway

if you do a lot of motrway mileage you'll find they actually get really good fuel mileage (i've seen 36 at a constant 80-90, compared to my 1.2 punto which at the same speed got 28!)

but they are a lot worse around town.

if you hate the vr6 fuel economy don't get any vag car with a 1.8T in it...i hear they're considerably worse than a vr6!

best of luck anyway, but i'd recon on keepin the vr6 for a bit longer just to see if you change your mind.

Mine's had Magnetec 10W 40 from new, just topped it up at the weekend with a litre or two :)

Tried using optimax for about 3 months, then went back to normal Shell unleaded and I'm getting much better mpg, even got 38mpg the other day doing a constant 55-60 for an hour! :D

synta semi all the way, if its good enough for the stealership its good enough for me :-) never found an advantage with any kind of higher octane fuel, worse economy and no noticeable performance gain and by god its expensive at the mo!

There's probably something wrong if you only get 190 miles to a tank' date=' even without long runs I get nearly 300, the most I've had is 360 miles on a long journey[/quote']

I get about 230 on a tank but i never run the vr into the red....how the hell do you get 360.......i wish mine would do that :D

There's probably something wrong if you only get 190 miles to a tank' date=' even without long runs I get nearly 300, the most I've had is 360 miles on a long journey[/quote']

I get about 230 on a tank but i never run the vr into the red....how the hell do you get 360.......i wish mine would do that :D

he must have more self control than most of us!

its deffo possible, sticking to 70-80mph i reckon...but i like high revs in fifth kind of speed! ;)

Hate to say it, but my R32 if you take it steady will easily return me 33mpg, but when you start opening it up, it drops to about 22-24mpg, thats pretty good for a 3.2. Probably due to the fact that the car weighs a lot less than a MK3.