BEST EXHAUST FOR THE MK3 VR6?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if u r rich £££ supersprint(the best).i am not so jetex,fitted it my-self no prob what so ever , it is a tight fit but it sounds well nice when u give it some,u can still have a conversation at motorway speed !!!

Supersprint are generally regarded to be the best exhausts for VR6s. Power gains are reasonable and I haven't heard of anyone that has had problems with one. They are also Stealth Racing's recommendation, and these guys know their VRs!!

I have a Milltek on mine. The build quality looks excellent and it produces a nice quiet rumble and low revs rising to a satisfying howl when you're caning it. Having said that, it's a fairly quiet system, similar to the Jetex. I did have problems with the fit, though - blowing at the joints and the tailpipes not sitting straight. In the end, I had Stealth remove and refit the whole lot using loads of sealing paste and even now there is still a slight blow between the cat and the centre section. I've read about numerous other people having the exact same problems - far too many for it to just be a case of the occasional "duffer". For this reason, I wouldn't buy another Milltek.

A Powerflow custom system is by far the most flexible solution, since you can tailor exactly how loud you want the system to be and can choose from a whole range of tailpipe designs, even dual exits or quad pipes if you want to go for the R32 or M3 look. With PF systems, the skill of the fitter is EVERYTHING. A lot of Powerflow authorised fitters are unfamiliar with Golfs, or are just plain crap. Shoddy welding & assembly accounts for 99% of the problems that have been reported with PF systems. ALWAYS go to a fitter recommended by someone who's had good results on a Golf Mk3, even if it means you have to travel further to get it done. Be sure to ask for the fitter by name!!

Hope this helps!!

• 3 weeks later...

Had a milltek a while back and don't think I would waste my money again.Nice looking but just not up to the job.Probably be a supersprint next time.Everybody is different tho!

You must be the only one. Why don't you think its up to the job?

sorry to put a boring slant on this thread .... is there anything wrong in terms of performance (not noise !) of actually fitting a standard vw vr6 exhaust ?? just wondered as mine will be ready soon for replacement !

This thread seems to be well set' date=' so I think I'll crash in :-d

I don't think there is much wrong with the stock system, from the cat-back anyway! I recently purchased my VR which was stock bar the catback. I did all the usual phoning around and Kwik Fit were cheapest (I know, I know) and hesitantly I went for it. Well, I have to say the service was decent! The unit is decent however it doesn't seem to have the same 'look and feel' as a VW system, but then again I didn't even bother to phone VW for a price on the grounds of humour overload.

To cut to the chase my car was on the rollers this Sat @ 'TDI North' in Warrington and sporting the Kwik Fit special knocked out:

[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v251/SJJura/AutoEvents/GTIL%20RR%2029-07-06/DynoResized.jpg

Make of it what you will, but I'm not overly convinced cat-back systems on their own are really worth it, especially given the prices for VR stuff.

ive got a standard system on my vr, i think (at times) it sounds really good, other times i wish i could hear more! but my car is standard in appearance.I did have an ernst system form G&S on one of my old mk2 8 valve GTI's some years ago and i thought that was very good, it sounded very nice.They do a system for the vr as well.I have seen lots of promotion for the milltek stuff, at awesome gti they swear by them, and also as a subscriber to vw driver mag, you do tend to have milltek rammed home almost every month in some way or another. i have no experience in milltek products but did like a supersprint system i had on my old audi 80 16v sport, i would be tempted by one of these again but i dont think the standard kit on a vr is so far off the mark really, and now ive got a child i dont want to be labelled as a boy racer! people at work do tend to notice shit like that!

a standard VW system costs more than a cat back stainless system (milltek). I wanted to keep my VR standard, but when a stainless system is cheaper than the standard one I think it's false economy to get the standard (which will need replacing within a few years) rather than the stainless!

• 2 months later...

with exhausts like powerflow, the end result in quality is really down to the individual fitter/builder, depends if they are good at their job or not, I live down the road from the head office so theyre pretty spot on! Avoid getting it done on saturdays, incase they rush it coz they wanna get home when they finish at 12ish and are already hanging with a hangover from friday night on the lash! hahaha

Got a sebring back box and powerflow from cat,removed suitcase and have had it on the car for 4 years with no probs at all,slight deep drone at 50mph,cant fault it!,it was fitted buy the powerflow rep who was over from S.Africa who was doing the training(lucky for me).got it fitted in bolton(powerflow)who know their vrs(mk2s+chargers).spot on noise(not too loud).all depends on the fitter with powerflow.

yeah, everyone bangs on about milltek, but there are quite a few people who are not happy with em aswell.they seem very 'of the moment' and expensive, im giving an 'ernst' system from german & swedish serious consideration based on price especially