Rattle from left hand side of engine

Hi all.

Just driven back from Wales (All Types show) to Derby yesterday, and when I got home I noticed a rattle coming from the engine. It's on the left hand side as you look in the engine bay. I know about the timing chain rattle that VR6's get, but that is on the other side to this.

There are that many pulleys on the belt, it is very hard to tell which one it is coming from. Just wondered if anyone else has had any problems - could it be the water pump? etc.

Cheers.

Matt.

Release the tension in the belt and have a spin of the various pulleys. If they wobble or feel a bit rough, the bearings might be worn. Could well be the aux belt tensioner as the bearings tend to run dry over time and eventually seize up. There is a cheap fix as a new bearing can be bought for less than a fiver.

Bought a tensioner today. Fitted it, rattle still there.

Took it off again(!) and checked each of the pulleys - the water pump is wobbly. Damn. New water pump required. It's booked in at the garage on Friday.

Thanks everyone for your help.

It's the pulley without any grooves on it for the belt - seems to be right in the middle of everything - just above the crank pulley.

I can work on cars - I have had numerous engines in and out of Golfs, but I've just lost all motivation on this one for some reason! I've had enough of working in tight spaces, and there doesn't seem to be much room down that side of the engine!