Hi mate if its engine side of cat its for lambda probe if its at back of cat ie tailgate end of cat its probably a cat off of a later car that has lambda before and after cat you should be able to just stick a bolt in this hole but make sure you get 1 with the right thread on it and do it up tight otherwise it will just blow it back out which im guessing is what has happened.

Its definately at the rear of the cat, ie tailgate end. Will it be a threaded hole then? i take it it is so it can take a sensor. just worried that there should be something there. Cant understand what you mean by it probably being of a later car as mine is a later car, 1997, therefore, shouldnt it have something there???

Cheers for your help folks, hope i make sense.

tbh I used exhaust paste around a snug fitting (as in snug to push into the hole) bolt so I didn't have to destroy any threads etc, then wiped the excess paste off the bolt head and it looks clean and tidy. This may sound obvious but don't use a really long bolt as you may knack your cat! Hope this helps :)