hi

only got the vr6 last night. bought it off a friend. he told me it had a problem before i bought it.

the car really holds back and has lost all its power. and idles funny and wants to cut out. its ok when its cold but soon as it gets warm it goes like a 1.6 (i know this cos my mate in his saxo vtr was keeping up with me)

what could be the problem? hope you guys can help.

cheers

neil

Could be the mass air flow sensor. If you get no sensor faults on vag com then it could be the MAF...as this doesn't always show up on VAG COM. The VR6 is no different in terms of sensors to any other car of its age. It has ten times less sensors than your modern day vectra or focus! Sensors don't tend to go wrong much in the VR... but when they do they are easy to pinpoint and fix and relatively cheaply because vag com will tell you straight away where the problem is... this is as opposed to earlier cars where you would have to spend £'s on labour to pinpoint where the problem was. A garage will run vag com on your car for free. If the problem does turn out to be your MAF you can get a reconditioned one for around £40-50. Brand new ones are just as 'delicate' as reconditioned ones so you're better off getting a reconditioned maf.

well i took it round to my mates and his dad said that the car was too old for the plugs he has got for laptop.

he plugged in a fault code reader and it didnt do anything. was guessing this is because the car is chipped and the reader didnt like it. so the next step is to buy another maf!

are all the maf's the same for each model or does the vr6 need a specific one?

seen a couple on there and it doesnt list it for the vr6

also where would i find the 16pin plug that the pc plugs into?

mate, easiest option will be to get the car diagnosed properly before spending any money, could well be another sensor. get it on a diagnostic machine, read the codes, if no clues then clear all and then take it for a spin and stick it on again to get the newest code/fault reading.

well i see a maf on ebay for £10 so i didnt wanna miss out, so i bought it. only a tenner so not too bad. yeah if this dont work then il definitely get it on the laptop.

also when i turn the igniton on it say's "in 02" on the left hand digital display. is this a normal thing or is it telling me something?

yeah got the car cos it didnt run right and it didnt have and mot. also had a knocking noise when you pulled away.

well the knocking noise was a bolt loose on the lower arm which is now fixed and the mot all in all cost me around the £200 mark give or take a couple of quid.

so me thinks i had a bit of a result. yeah couldnt believe it when the guy just plugged it back on and said all fixed. hahahaha.

all i need to do now is fix a minor dent on the rear quarter and the car will be mint condition.