Hi Guys

Just had my engine rebuilt by my local engineering firm, has VR's before and fairly experienced...

Problem:

Has been run in for about 200 miles now and was smoking slightly but was advised due to head being flowed and bores being honed..

Car came back from MOT yesterday and on start up just sounded like a misfire.. To my horror as I made it home i noticed that there was a loud knocking noise from the rear of the engine (sounds like a hammer to wood?!)

I thing it may be the big ends or shells.. Any ideas will be kindly appreciated, looks like a trip to Doctor Vince!

apologise for the essay (did crap at english though?!? :(( )

Thanks Gav!

I am going to the MOT place again and have a few words, have already spent 3grand on the engine so am now losing heart to do any more on it + the guy that done the MOT is ok but its the monkeys he has working for him...

My opinion is the big ends as well, going to the see the guy that rebuilt my engine on Monday as well..

if i can get it going again for 500 quid then i'll keep it, if not watch this space for stage 3 gas flowed head for silly (cheap) price! B)

if it smokes there is something wrong,mine did after rebuild,and guese what vw supplied the wrong piston rings,so now 5000euro´s down the road it´s running like it should(vw has not covered any thing yet)only prob now is the lifters were a bad quallety so in a couple of months ille have too get new ones again,and my car been standing first from end dec. too mid jan. and then again from start feb. and 14 days ahead.i now have abs problem and my passeger e-window is also dead.but with 200 miles it´s not run in yet,min 1500-2000 miles idsay.

Thanks Gav!

I am going to the MOT place again and have a few words' date=' have already spent 3grand on the engine so am now losing heart to do any more on it + the guy that done the MOT is ok but its the monkeys he has working for him...

My opinion is the big ends as well, going to the see the guy that rebuilt my engine on Monday as well..

if i can get it going again for 500 quid then i'll keep it, if not watch this space for stage 3 gas flowed head for silly (cheap) price! B)

[/quote']

I doubt the MOT place would have anything to do with your prob. They just carry out routine basic checks so shouldn't have altered anything at all on the engine. Sounds like the place who rebuilt the engine have done something slightly wrong or like RIX says a part wasn't right. Either way get it all fixed for free from the place that did the rebuild. Good luck. Sounds like a load of hassle you don't need!

I'm sure you got a warrantee for all the work you have had doe no? Standard 10,000miles or 12months is essential. Have you had all the internals replaced with the re-build? Shells ect?

As mine was completely rebuilt I had everything that may have worn replaced. Including oil and water pump. I wouldn't have thought it should be smoking at all and deffo no noises. My advice would be, don't let anyone touch the engine apart from the guys who built it.

bit of a complicated story... my regular mechanic was gonna do the chains and clutch so decided to take the engine out to make it easier for him. Whilst he was working on the car one his mates who used to work for a racing company offered to gas flow my head so i ended up getting the whole head done, new followers, valves etc.. Because the top was done the bottom was weak so i had the bottom rebuilt too..

To cut a long story short my mechanic suffered from a heart attack so my car was in a 1000 peices with no mechanic.

I ended up getting the engine rebuilt by a reputable engineer and then the engine was put back in the car by a local garage who I trust..

Thing is i'm not sure what sort of warranty I have with the engine..

Gonna go to the engineers in the morning and see what they say... :|

I would say that the warranty lies with the engineer who finished the engine for you?

Have a word with them and tell them your position mate. If you don't ask, you don't get!

P.S 3 grand on a VR engine rebuild seems quite expensive, what exactly have you had done?

Thanks Gav!

I am going to the MOT place again and have a few words' date=' have already spent 3grand on the engine so am now losing heart to do any more on it + the guy that done the MOT is ok but its the monkeys he has working for him...

[/quote']

I doubt the MOT place would have anything to do with your prob. They just carry out routine basic checks so shouldn't have altered anything at all on the engine. Sounds like the place who rebuilt the engine have done something slightly wrong or like RIX says a part wasn't right. Either way get it all fixed for free from the place that did the rebuild. Good luck. Sounds like a load of hassle you don't need!

Or you could take it somewhere else and pay again eh Mat. When the emissions check is done, do they rev the engine at all???