Is my VR6 an OBD1 or OBD2?

How to tell if your VR6 is an OBD1 or an OBD2

You will see the terms OBD1 and OBD2 referred to a lot on this, and other, VW sites. In mid-1995, Volkswagen made some substantial changes to the specification of most of their cars. Cars prior to this change are termed OBD1, those after the change are referred to as OBD2.

The OBD2 VR6 engine continued right up until 1998, when the 12-valve VR6 engine was discontinued in favour of the all-new 24-valve engine found in the Golf Mk4.

OBD stands for "On Board Diagnostics" and refers to the type of engine management system used. However, the mid-1995 changes made were not confined to just the engine computer - several other enhancements were made to the brakes, suspension, bodywork and to the engine itself. This is why, when ordering just about any part for your VR6, you are always asked if your car was built before or after 1995.

All Corrado VR6s are OBD1. Since the Corrado was discontinued in 1996 anyway, VW never bothered converting its 2.9 engine to OBD2.

For all other models, follow the guide below:

The easiest way to tell if your engine is OBD1 or OBD2 is to look at the throttle body. The throttle body is located where the inlet pipe meets the inlet manifold, circled in BLUE in this photo:

obd1.jpg

OBD1 THROTTLE BODY

obd1def.jpg

This shows the throttle body on an OBD1 engine. Note the sensor attached to the side of the throttle body, and the two coolant hoses going into the top.

Close-up:

obd3.jpg

OBD2 THROTTLE BODY

obd2def.jpg

This shows the throttle body on an OBD2 engine. Note the large black plate on the side of the throttle body and the sensor on the top. The two coolant hoses go into the side of the throttle body, rather than the top.

Close-up:

obd7.jpg

Other differences between OBD1 and OBD2 - Golf mk3 only

As mentioned, numerous other changes were made to the Golf VR6 in 1995 to co-incide with the engine changes. These are the most important ones:

Bodywork - OBD1

Other than the badges and the wheels, OBD1 (1992-1995) VR6 models were identical in appearance to the GTI, with textured black plastic wheel arch trims and side rubbing strips. The tops of the bumpers are also in matching textured black plastic. The side rubbing strips have the VR6 badge on them:

obd9.jpg

OBD1 models also have rectanular side indicators on the front wings:

obd10.jpg

Bodywork - OBD2

On OBD2 (1996-1998) VR6 models, the wheel arch trims were deleted. The bumpers and side rubbing strips are fully painted in body colour.

obd11.jpg

OBD2 models have more oval-shaped side indicators on the front wings:

obd12.jpg

Anti-lock Braking Systsem - OBD1

OBD1 VR6 models use the TEVES-04 ABS system. The ABS Pump & distribution module, located at the back of the engine bay, on the passenger side, looks like this:

obd4.jpg

Anti-lock Braking Systsem - OBD2

OBD2 Golf VR6s use the more advanced TEVES-20 GI ABS system. The ABS Pump & distribution module, located at the back of the engine bay, on the passenger side, looks like this:

obd8.jpg

Front brakes - OBD1

OBD1 Golf VR6s have 280mm disc brakes on the front, with a caliper design the same as that on late Golf mk2 models:

obd13.jpg

Front brakes - OBD2

OBD2 Golf VR6s have larger 288mm discs up front, with a new caliper design also seen on the Golf Mk4:

obd14.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 11 months later...

ive got 2 different manifolds laying around chaps, very similar but one has a large pipe just behind the tb mounting face and one dont, am i right in saying the one without would be obd2 and the one with would be obd1 (isv take off?)

• 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

hi guys i'm new and 'im from italy!

i'm on the way to get my vr6 running turbo on my mk2 golf syncro...my question is:

looking on the kinetic turbo website,i adviced that for OBD1 engines the turbo kit stop at stage2...is there any reason for a OB1 engine can't go higher than that step?

thank you vey much you all!

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

hi

just bought recon engine that has OBD1 throttle body and inlet manifold, with alloy rocker cover along with large black coilpack to use in my OBD2 highline.

question is can i swap my inlet manifold, rocker cover etc onto the OBD1 block?, will it work with my ecu?, and will i get the increased 185BHP as opposed to the 174BHP of the OBD1?...or are the cylinder head/blocks different ?...dont want to loose any power!

thanks

• 1 month later...

Hi Jimmy

One of the ways to tell if its obd1 or 2 is to see of it has a distributor or a coil pack. If it has a dizzy its obd1 and if it has a coil pack its obd2. I have heard the obd2 makes more power than the obd1 around 185 bhp but cant confirm this.

this makes no sense what so ever using someone elses thread to advertise??

spam bots....... i hate those things!!!

anyhoo, im OBD1 with a coil pack, or so i think.... anyone want to shed some light on what motor i have?

I have a coil pack

I have the obd2 ABS system

no wheel arches

but its a 1995 model

anything else to look out for?

• 1 month later...

This thread is soooo old! and THE ONLY way to tell is not from any panels or brakes....obd stands for on board diagnostics so its to do with the managment of the engine and fuelling system. If your throttle body is an obd2 with the electronic throttle position sensor on the side then you are obd2 if its just a mechanical tb then you obd1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thread is soooo old! and THE ONLY way to tell is not from any panels or brakes....obd stands for on board diagnostics so its to do with the managment of the engine and fuelling system. If your throttle body is an obd2 with the electronic throttle position sensor on the side then you are obd2 if its just a mechanical tb then you obd1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup which is why the first point is to explain the throttle bodies and the others are just listed as cosmetic differences between the two ages :) but as Rikki saya go on the throttle body only coilpack etc means nothing :)

anyhoo' date=' im OBD1 with a coil pack, or so i think.... anyone want to shed some light on what motor i have?

I have a coil pack

I have the obd2 ABS system

no wheel arches

but its a 1995 model

anything else to look out for?

[/quote']

I would also want some info regarding the same as above' date=' I have an obd1 throttle body, but seem to be running a coilpack...? So what engine do I have? Is this due to the changeover being 95 and I have a 95 n reg car? Thanks

[/quote']

obd1 throttle body means your car is obd1 mate - simples as said before the other cosmetic/engine changes were added to cars in the changeover year, my old VR was exactly the same obd1 but with all the other features of an obd2 car

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...