Electric polisher , what's good??

Alright Jez - I think with these things you pay for what you get - I think to get a good one you'd have to pay around £80-£100 for a good one. I think the polishing company sell them - if they dont they will be able to advise you on what to get - they gave good advice when I asked for it.

RAC ones arre generally buffers rather than polishers.

polishers need to be used with 'extreme' care as you can go straight through the lacquer and paint without even noticing.

practice on an old car to gain the skill and you can fuck up without it mattering.

The best polisher that a lot of detailers rave on about is the Porter Cable, you can by this from the polishing company for about £230.

It all depends what you want it for. ie paint correction or something to take the labour out putting on polishes and sealents by hand.

The Meguiars cordless polisher looked like a good buy but at nearly £100 its a bit much for what it is IMO. And it seems that they have stoped doing these for some reason.

Have look on here lnfo

wwww.detailingworld.co.uk

• 7 months later...

If you hunt around on american sites(There are some absolute polishing fanatics around! scary!!) they all polish by hand sounds silly but the main problem that makes polishing hard work is simply putting too much on in the first place,use just enough for it to haze like you have breathed on the paint on a cold day, then polish off with ease, then repeat the following weekend after washing it again, a few layers are better that trying to do it in one hit i found

This is the cheapest Porter Cable 7424 on ebay but you'll need a transformer (£10) and extension cable £10-15)... as it's an american product, comes with the sonar pads too, good equipment. Don't bother with the cheaper polishers you get what you pay for and may damage your paintwork. ;)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&item=150051556826&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

• 2 months later...

Screwfix do a Direct Power one, which is an orbital model around £15-20. It's quite well built.

It's not a porter cable but I wanted something to take the workload out of applying/buffing with a polish. I can't do 3000 rpm for more than about 2 seconds.

If that's all you want it for, it will enable you to cover your large surfaces more evenly than by hand in a shorter period of time.

I may mod mine to fit a foam pad carrier at some point too.

RAC ones arre generally buffers rather than polishers.

polishers need to be used with 'extreme' care as you can go straight through the lacquer and paint without even noticing.

practice on an old car to gain the skill and you can fuck up without it mattering.

I think stockers is talking about the difference between a rotary polisher and an orbital. The porter cable is an orbital (and a very fine one too) and the rotary's tend to be makita, bosch etc - these will tear through your paint with one slip for the unwary.

Some but not all of the cheapies are orbital, some are rotary's but not like the power of the pro tools.

For the orbital's, consider moving your hand in small circles round about a 2" throw (like hand polishing) then also spin it around (ouch if it's your hand!) that's the sort of action that's good for poweful but reasonably gentle polish/sealant/wax application.

Best bet by far is to take it to the local valeter and for 25 quid they will wax and polish it. Swirls will still be there but majority of the work done.... Me? I've spent over a grand in equipment on getting it swirl free and wax'd...

Heh. I've seen the local valeters doing cars in the company car park or from the windows I can see another company. The cars all look nice and clean but - ouch, sponges, single buckets - it's a regular old swirl fest. Makes me cringe tbh. There's some expensive kit round where I work and I see the valeters regularly washing scratches into a Porsche GT3.

Same reason I tend to do my own mechanicals, most people don't care for other peoples property that much. You do find some dedicated folks doing a good job here and there though...

There's a lot of people on www.detailingworld.co.uk (people like Sanky used, and cav and 182_blue [and me!]) who take care of car paintwork and take pride in how it looks, but the majority of people dont care about swirl marks :( When they see a properly detailed car, there's no comparison!!!

Lol, yeah with the detailers the people that do care are usually pretty passionate to put it mildly.

I never reaaallly noticed swirls until I read about them and "proper" methods of cleaning and looking after your paint - then it makes you think.

I'm pretty realistic though I'm not after perfection, I want my daily driver nice and shiny and would rather have some minor swirling and keep the clearcoat thicker for extra protection. Like most people I'm limited in the amount of time I can spend with work, home, work on the house and general life.

I do admire those that put real dedication into their motors.

There's a lot of people on www.detailingworld.co.uk (people like Sanky used' date=' and cav and 182_blue [and me!']) who take care of car paintwork and take pride in how it looks, but the majority of people dont care about swirl marks :( When they see a properly detailed car, there's no comparison!!!

the difference in a cleaned car (say valeted) and a detailed car is completely different.

i recently detailed a supra and the owner said it had a completely different shine.feel to the car. you can see the depth in the paint, the high and low tones.

• 6 months later...