Alternator problems

Guest stvgdrch

i need some help, i have a 2000 VW VR6. My car keeps making a really high schreeching noise. Me and a friend looked at and figured out that it was the alternator and the belt. i have no idea how to change either one of these. I have never worked on this car before. I was wondering if any body could lend a little help or tell me a good site that would show mw how to change these, Thanks.

I can also be reached at "stvgdrch@cox.net" <-- e-mail

Changing out the alt is easy.....are you sure it's that that is screeching and not a siezed belt tensioner bearing?

If you're sure the alt is dead, then they're not expensive from the dealer (about £90 exchange) but if it's giving 13.8V with the engine running, it might just be the bearing in it that's gone, but either way it'll need replacing as it's more cost effective then rebuilding it.

On the corrado, you need to take the headlight and airbox out and jack the engine up and pull the alternator through headlight hole, but the on the Golf you might not need to do that, not sure, but it's not a big job. Just slacken the belt, undo the two bolts that hold it to the block and lift it out.