Which induction kit?

Hey is it me or do we have a "No Gay" policy on this website. Induction Kit wise you dont have to spend loads of money to get an induction kit effect, simply buy a performance air filter e.g a K&N one and just drill two large holes at the top of your airbox, you get a power gain and a real "Whoosh" noise.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Whats wrong with a standard air box ?

Derestricted bigger cold air feed and pannel filter !

Cheap and works

I am glad you mentioned this as my local mechanic has been trying to persuade me to keep the original air system but if i want some noise he recommends to drill some holes in the original box and apparantly this gives the VR a nice roar' date=' [b']has anyone done this. He also states it keeps good power and stays away from all the heat issues you get with K&N etc, i am tempted to try this.

Cheap and works

I am glad you mentioned this as my local mechanic has been trying to persuade me to keep the original air system but if i want some noise he recommends to drill some holes in the original box and apparantly this gives the VR a nice roar' date=' [b']has anyone done this. He also states it keeps good power and stays away from all the heat issues you get with K&N etc, i am tempted to try this.

i have standard air box with a few well placed holes, the cone removed and a kn panel filter,, works well sounds good but not too loud

Cheap and works

i have standard air box with a few well placed holes, the cone removed and a kn panel filter,, works well sounds good but not too loud

Thanks, looks like this will be my option

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Greetings all, currently have a K&N panel filter ( no airbox holes ) and one piece oval exhaust. Slightly quicker than stock but need more. Most of the opinions seem true in their own right , BUT. IMHO uprating your intake means BIG airflow gains into the engine. Problem is the factory valve timing has not been set up for such large volumes ( too slow n short ). I reckon whichever kit you choose you WILL NOT see the full benefit without uprating your camshaft as well to increase valve lift and duration therefore coping with the new torrent of air. Also remap would be needed to optimise all the flows n ratios ( vr6's run too bloody lean from the factory I reckon ). I myself am due to have the above upgrades done within 4 - 6 weeks at stealth racing. Anyone hazard a guess as to what I can realistically exepect by adding a BMC CDA kit, SP 263 camshaft and a custom remap to a healthy mk3 vr6 with 80k on the clock ???? I would be chuffed if I could sneak an extra 35 bhp... keep you posted if the mods work... bottom line IMHO, induction kit alone will not yield results...

ps I been quoted just under £1200 for the above incl labour n VAT... Vince at stealth racing is very knowledgeable an seems a good egg...

• 4 months later...

People please help.

After reading 9 pages I still don't know which filter to go for. 5 years ago i had a '92 VR6 to which i added a K&N induction kit and it sounded awesome but gets a lot of bad press... not sure why!

I have just purchased a '97 Highline completely stock and i just want to change the filter to give me better response and lots of roar.

I have a budget of £120 but would really like to stick to £100 if poss... suggestions please.

People please help.

After reading 9 pages I still don't know which filter to go for. 5 years ago i had a '92 VR6 to which i added a K&N induction kit and it sounded awesome but gets a lot of bad press... not sure why!

I have just purchased a '97 Highline completely stock and i just want to change the filter to give me better response and lots of roar.

I have a budget of £120 but would really like to stick to £100 if poss... suggestions please.

I'm going for one of these... http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10897&xSec=129

65_10_60.jpg

People please help.

I'm going for one of these... http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/product.php?xProd=10897&xSec=129

65_10_60.jpg

Thanks - it's at the top of my list at the moment - any other suggestions and any reasons why i shouldn't go for the K&N?

I take it the heat shield works well and doesn't require any additional holes to be made to secure it?

• 2 months later...

hi

i have just produced a new induction kit from roosemotorsport with a itg filter, the induction hose, and the breather hose to connect to the new induction hose also two couplers to fit on to a 70mm filter. i have this induction kit on my car ill be posting pictures soon as i find out how to transfer the picture to the computer lol

yeh drilling em is good i done it to the air box on my mk2 gti and it run and sounded sweet,,anyway last month i purchased a k&n for £50 of ebay brand new but with no bracket so i made my own bracket keeping the filter as low as possible and the sound of it is quality and if driven lightly u cant tell that they are fitted,i like it ,,ps how can that noise be to loud^o)

• 3 months later...

i bought the corbonio kit and it reved up faster also with the decat pipe made hell of a difference, i would go corbonio all the way the only prob is that they have stopped making them now so you would have to get one second hand

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

this is going to upset some people, but when my air filter started falling apart i went in halfords and bought a air filter, a 'RIP SPEED' and i cant really complane, 20quid and it sounds good, i did feel like a right chav when i was paying for it lol

• 1 month later...

well im still waiting for my evoms intake filter to arive from usa nearly 6 weeks now , im slowley being tempted by the bmc . i dont want to bad word the place wher i ordered it from but they said they have been so popular they have sold ,but no one here has got one and on uk-mkivs has got one hmm

• 2 weeks later...

Which is best?

Cotton filter or Foam filter

An age old debate that's never had a definitive answer mate :-)

K&N, BMC etc swear blind cotton is the best. RamAir, ITG etc, swear blind foam is the best.

The only truth in a sea of opinions and unscientific tests is this:-

The OE paper filter is the best filter, bar none, for stopping dirt entering your engine.

If noise is more important, take your pick from the 100s of filters out there :-)

Which would you go for? Mine got a K&N filter on atm but tbh it doesnt seem to be doing any favours, it feels like its struggling top end.

Ive been told if I get a new filter to not get a cone filter cos it can affect the MAF....

Also read somewhere that with foam filters the particles could break up or melt and stick to the MAF

• 2 weeks later...