Which induction kit?

I just bought a BMC coz I heard another VR with one, i was sold insantly, plus if they are good enough for formula 1, they'll do for a vw

Also they started coz some bloke couldnt find the exact spec filter he needed, so he built his own, It was so impressive he started marketing them and pro race teams started taking interest.

All said though the piperx viper was a close 2nd, prefered the sound of the bmc though

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Does the induction kit noise kick in straight away or only when you boot it? In my 1,4 you could only hear it when your foot right to the floor (was a K&n one)

I just want sometime that only heard when you boot it or like in civic type-r it only comes on just before the VTEC kicks in. :P

• 4 weeks later...

hey, i have a slightly different spin on this whole thread..

question..do u want to go faster? or do u want to make more noise? if u want noise, go for an expensive kit by all means, but i believe theres too much hot air around the filter in its normal position to ever give reasonable gains for £200:00 odd pounds, i have swiss cheesed my air box and am putting in a jetex panel filter, later in the summer i might make my own feed pipes and move to the bottom of the bumper, where it gets proper cold air (my mate has this on his vr6 sc (vr6monte).

• 2 months later...

Ram Air =meant to be great noise from Ram Air but its Massive

and also suffers from heat intake from engine £80

Viper=is part of pipercross and its same as ram air but has metal around filter to stop the heat intake problem £100

swiss cheesed my air box=budget but with panel filter from jetex or K&N will be fine £30

BMC CDA=Bhp, good noise, still quite on tickover looks the part

but its going to cost about £150-160 and need to buy the silocone hose

some people don't bother with the cold air feed but up to u

try and go to a meeting or show and the u can see hear and ask all about the

air filters plus should get 10-15% discount at some of the shows good luck and let us know which one you choose?

Well i have been following this thread for a while now and went out to halfords today and boufght myself a universal ripspeed cone filter ,26 quid and makes the best noise not bothered about heat soak as bhp gains in any filter are minimal anyway.I was only after the roar and to be honest it sounds better than the k and n cone filter that was on my other vr.So to summarise air filters bhp gains are only minimal imho so dont bother spending money that could be better spent else where.

virgin

Well i have read this whole thread lol

I have a mate who works in Motorworld and i had the luck in trying lots of filters.

K&n, pipercross, green cotten, universal and a carbon forsed one.

The carbon fibre forced induction kits was probably the worse sound but the cold air feed meant the car was faster topend, but i noticed a loss of power in low revs (Not good when u live in wales with all the hills lol)

The K&n felt like the standard box but made a rumble when floorin it.

The pipercross was slightly better with a nice rumble but when the engine was hot the power dropped.

I ended up falling for the Green Cotten Filter.... The power was there all the time and it rumbles all the time. Its quiet at 3000rpm but sounds like a monster when flooring it. To me its by far the best all rounder.

I paid £80 for it and i had £200 waiting to pay. So if it costs more then its not always better!!

• 1 month later...
Guest innocent

ive got a pipercross. I havent noticed an increase in the pull but the noise gives it big licks at 4500. Minimal noise when idling which leads to a nice surprise when you pull away.

Can i ask a sensible question? Has anyone dyno'd their machine with any of the mentioned induction kits/drilled boxes fitted? Extra noise is all fine and dandy but when you're after real performance gains either in torque, reponsivness or top-end, there is no substitue for a graph! I have ordered a K&N induction kit 'cos i'm a K&N fan, but reading here this thread the BMC sounds good as does the Carbonia thing, but its subjective. On my old Fiat Coupe all I did to the breathing was drill the air box and put a K&N panel filter in it and the difference was incredible - the low down torque, before the turbo had a chance to wake up was incredible, and increased toruqe across the range by about 7% (and the sound of the 5 pot engine starting to suck up small children and 3 year old cows was a massive side benefit!!). Not bad for £40!! So does anyone have any figures to throw around? Also has anyone fitted a bigger down pipe and a sports zorst to help get all that extra CO2 out the other end?

i used a HKS green mushrrom filter good enough for biiig powered skylines why not the VIVz... puched a whole thro crumple zone in mk2 chasis leg was only a lil plate held on with 3-4 spot welds used a drain pipe as me cold air feed(iseal roughly 2.5 - 3" piping with the bend at bottom) works awsome my oil temp on the clocks(mfa...i think they call it) never really goes past 94 an thats in summer when am giving it some real sh1t.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm going to be fitting a Pipercross viper kit to mine in the next week. Cost is £250' date=' it has a ram pipe and a carbon fibre heatshield surrounding a reverse flow element. I'll let you know how it goes if you're interested?

[/quote']

did you do this? any thoughts about it?

i've thinking of getting the viper kit for mine

Haven't seen these mentioned atall "Pipercross velocity air intakes" They take the air from outside the engine bay but with the filter at the end of it. Probaly sounds quite evil aswell. I feel like i can trust pipercross quite well as its a brand i feel is well known and I have hurd alot about!! http://www.venommotorsport.com/shop/index.html

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Running a Ram air on mine. Great sound when you floor it and sounds the same as OEM setup when cruising' date=' both at motorway or road speeds.

[/quote']

Just what i would say aswell. I only have the suparam filter. can hardly tell its modified on tickover or cruising. but open it up and it really screams!! coupled it with a jetex 3box system so now it purrs away almost silently at the lights, and surprises those who take it for a lesser engined golf when i open it up!

Hi i have put mine on the dyno, I like the VIS kit sound kicks in after about 3000rpm, the tests we done where back to back we fitted the VIS kit on the dyno both run on 97ron with Std map on the car, Will run it again in a week or two see if it adapts up any more