Ok peeps, i need abit of help/advice after i fitted my ram-air induction kit i noticed that the breather pipe has split....

:? (see below)

52543277.jpg

That bit there ......lol

52543285.jpg

I went to euro carparts, G&S and was told its main dealer and they want £76 + vat..... x) which i cant afford at the mo, and they will only sell it with the other bits and not on its own as they say its a old car now, so it cant be got any cheaper.... &| :(

Does anyone know what damange i am doing driving it like this ?? or know of anyway i can get one without having to pay £76+ vat, or does anyone have one they will sell me...??

did think about taking it off and sticking it...!!! will that work for now???

Grrrrrrr any help would make my day ......thanks :)

[ Edited ]

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, no idea what olly's going on about...ecotec valve?! thats for the servo tube, and it's crap as well!

also, can't see which hose is split (i'm half blind today!), can you circle it?

welcome to the joys of main dealer hose prices...hence why my vr6 is still off the road.

try a breakers yard, though you'll be lucky.

oh i see it now...i'm used to obd1's, yours had a lot of other crap...breakers, or you'll have to pay the 70 odd quid i'm afraid.

unless someone on here has a spare! may be worth posting on the cgti forum, but do it subtley...such as, 'anyone know where i can get one from', as opposed to 'anyone got one' ;)

P.S you can use the money you save getting your engine bay steam cleaned :) lol

lmao :P ...you cheeky git wait till i see you..... :D

So what bit do i ask for if i go into fords...? and is it easy to get the old one off and new one on looks complex to me loads of pipes coming off it ect..... :|

Vince been talking to someone and they where wondering if the galaxy st24 engines are the same? as they have one sitting on there drive broken .... also no one has answered my question, will i do any damage driving it about like this ? ta... :-)

I cant see where its split but to answer your question you're not going to damage anything... it just recirculates oily fumes back into the air intake rather than the atmospere.

You can take the whole lot off and stick a breather filter on... theres a thread on here somewhere explaining it or if you're at inters I'll show ya

I cant see where its split

I have marked where it has come apart' date=' its split apart from the bit of pipe....

You can take the whole lot off and stick a breather filter on... theres a thread on here somewhere explaining it or if you're at inters I'll show ya

Thanks i will be there yes on the sunday, and thats good to know i wont do no damage as i cant bare not to drive it.....lol :P

Exactly the same thing happened on mine. It's obviously a weak point. It's not damaging to the engine AFAIK, but if left it will drip oil onto the exhaust manifold below causing a horrid stink in the car.

You can either replace the entire plastic tract assembly (£75+VAT from VW) or try to glue & seal it. I did the former after trying (and failing) to do the latter.

I dont know about blocking off the valve and replacing the crankcase end with a filter, but it sounds reasonable. All that pipe does is allow excess gas in the crankcase to be vented. It vents it back to the intake as this causes less emissions. Obviously, adding a filter here gives you something extra you have to replace at regular intervals. May work out cheaper in the long run just to replace the tract. You might get lucky from a scrapyard!

[ Edited Sat May 01 2004, 11:27PM ]

Hey, VWmadgirl, hate to say it, but people did say not to try and fit the induction kit yourself, i can remember you having a go at them for thinking you weren't capable, well, they told you so! he he

Girls and engines, tut tut.

Hey' date=' VWmadgirl, hate to say it, but people did say not to try and fit the induction kit yourself, i can remember you having a go at them for thinking you weren't capable, well, they told you so! he he

Girls and engines, tut tut.[/quote']

So it was u that voted i couldnt do it..... :? Grrrr

As u may have noticed its a common thing with them just look up the thread :| it may well have been broken before and i never noticed it till i fitted the kit, because i never looked that before.....

And as for the girls and engine comment well at least i gave it ago and didnt just stick it in the garage and pay someone to do it, i also put in my leather interior and i change all the other stuff myself and find thats the best way to learn, so dont think that girls and engine comment is very fair, we are not all totally useless when it comes to cars.... :|

Hear hear VMMadGirl!!! Could have happened to anyone! There are quite a few blokes that don't even know how to wire a 3-pin plug. As you can see there are some really great people on this forum so I am sure between us, we should be able to get most things sorted.

Mina

Hey' date=' VWmadgirl, hate to say it, but people did say not to try and fit the induction kit yourself, i can remember you having a go at them for thinking you weren't capable, well, they told you so! he he

Girls and engines, tut tut.[/quote']

Can't see how fitting an induction kit would cause this and I don't remember many people saying dont do it either :?

could've happened to anyone. may of been split already' date=' you just didnt notice it ![/quote']

Thats excatly what i said olly...thanks guys(mina,eat this and binliner and olly.. :) ) for sticking up for me , that annoyed me when i saw that post last night to be honest, just because i am female does that mean i havent a clue when it comes to cars .... and that i shouldnt even open a bonnet as thats what it seems like he is saying ~:(

i totally agree with the some men cant even wire a plug comment , this is true...... least i gave it ago and i did it and didnt just pay someone else to do it, and i have learnt things while i do it, i rather try and do stuff myself before having to call in help, and apart from noticing that the breather was broken i think i did the job well and you are all welcome to inspect my work at the inters if you dont think i am capable ... thats my moan over with..... :D:P