Hi guys in new to the vr6 scene anyways here we go.

i got a hihgline which had the head rebuild together with the lot chains tentiones bla bla etc......

the thing is when in overrun and i change gear the car still puffs grey smoke!!!!! when the car is standing is fine when driven normal is fine.

i got vag.com and it shows the lamb probe is intermitent so coul this be te problem?????

anyways any suggestions will be good thanks.

the millage of the car is 132,000 and the oil i used is sythia silver 10-w 40.

i wouldnt be to bothered on overrun, is it okay under acceleration?

its probably unburnt fuel, just check if your mixture is a bit rich, might be an idea to stick it on rollers and get a wideband in it and check.

if you had it re-mapped when you had the head work done, its a good idea on a high mileage car, since a clean head releases decent power.

reason why i'd not worry too much is becuase its bound to be rich for a bit after load, my narrow band shows a rich and then lean condition when i back off, but then ive had mine mapped.

have it checked out at some point if it gets worse. i

lamda is usually not the problem for overun, it doesnt really do very much on the overrun, i've been told its more for partial load, and isnt used at all over 70% throttle when the system goes open loop.

eat this, thats what i initially thought, but a rebuilt head should have the steam seals replaced ? wierd, where did you get the head work done?

i havnt yet i have most of the parts im waitin for 268 cams and heatwrap then its all gonna get done i cant bloody wait!! i have all the parts so know exactly whats being done and its pretty much everythin lol cams new tappets new chains and guides head gasket/bolts clutch vibra tech engine mounts 621 exhaust mani valve stem seals

I'm curious - what's does a PCV do? I know it stands for Positive Crankcase Ventilation, but that's all I know!

My VR burns a fair bit of oil and I sometimes get a burnt oil smell through the vents in the cabin. Somebody once said it might be a dodgy PCV valve, but I've never looked in to it.

Sorry to threadjack....

Yo fella, I've just sent mine in for guides and stem seals. Running rich will produce black soot like smoke form your exhaust, burning oil will produce grey/blue smoke and white will be water vapour (usually head gasket).

I'm no expert but I've usually found all these signals are as I've described.

I must admit, I fookin hope it's stem seals or/and guides else I will be very pissed off!!!!!!

Hopefully I shall find out tomorrow!

Hmmm... mine uses a lot of oil but I don't see much smoke. I've got a fair bit of black deposit on the exhaust, but I am still on the original unit so I guess you might expect that anyway?

At the risk of sounding like a complete muppet, what causes an engine to run rich and what's the cure?

I was speaking to the mechanic thats doing my head today and he told me that it will overfuel slightly because of the K&N air filter. (wont if it's been remapped with it I suppose) More air - ecu thinks more fuel and will bung in more. I didn't ask him too endulge further as it doesn't do it very often/harly ever. But you can bet if you have an after market cone filter and you overun your car down a hill, dont touch the throttle and come to a stop at the bottom and blip the throttle it will kick out some soot as it will have over fueled because of the excess air mixture. I'm just working this out on pure logic and what I've been told!

VRs use oil mate, unless it's blowing smoke like the Lotus Esprit trying to crack 200mph on 5th Gear tonight, I wouldn't worry about it!!!!

Your last sentence is bang on - I read too much on here and then go looking for problems!! I guess I should just accept that VRs use oil and forget it. Other than high oil consumption, car runs like a dream.

Just out of interest, how much (roughly) are you looking at for head work, including new stem seals etc?

if its putiin white smoke out on the overrun its probably the valve stem oil seals i would expect them to be done when having chains/head rebuild mine is about to have all this done and burns oil on the overrun

white smoke means nothing on a normally aspirated car!!!!

blue smoke means oil is being burnt- on the overun- this definitely means valve stem oil seals are your first job, failing this you could be looking at the valve seats or guides...

black/grey smoke is overfuelling- this COULD be the lamba probe- these cause all sorts of issues- get it replaced and give it a try... :-)