[poll] Front bumper dilemma

The Cabrio's respray is complete, but unfortunately the smoothed & de-indicatored bumper that I did myself fell apart when the bodyshop was sanding it &|

As they say, if it's broke - mod it. There are some nice aftermarket bumpers out there which will still give me the smoothed + no lights look that I'm after.

Here's a few that I've been looking at. Which would you go for? Are there any others you've seen which are even nicer?

Rear bumper is a smoothed OEM style with number plate recess - it would match any of these. Here we go:

SWG:

swg.jpg

Reiger (try to imagine it with black mesh instead of silver):

reiger.jpg

JOM R32-look:

r32look.jpg

Mattig Clean-look:

mattigcleanlook.jpg

Believe it or not, the Mattig is the most expensive bumper of the four. I'm not sure whether I like the deleted lower intakes either. And the number plate would have to be mounted to the lower spoiler, leaving it a little bit vulnerable...

What would you guys suggest?

The only alternative I can think of is to go with a standard bumper and fit a pair of those air intakes that replace the foglights/tow eye cover. The trouble is, these only fill the inner 2/3 of the recess, so I'd still need a pair of non-functional indicators to plug the remaining hole. Not exactly the "clean look" I was aiming for though.

Standard bumper with vents and "dummy" indicators:

vents.jpg

I'm with everyone else... last one is the only one thats ok (not worth buying a new bumper for though!)

How about smoothing in bonrath air intakes into the lower intakes into your original bumper (see dynamic air intakes at http://www.bonrath.com/e/go.htm ), smoothing the rest and relocating the indicators into the lights? (ie similar to the mattig but a bit more interesting! :) )

Easier to say rather than do I know, but I reckon it would look good.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/antera309/Nicks%20front%20bumper%20dilemma/vents.jpg

id go for the standard one with these vents, and some lower bonrath ones, all smothed in, with the swage lines deleted too. this way you can keep the numberplate recess, and have a total smooth looking bumper, without indicators. im sure the bodyshop can manage that, although the intakes will be a bit awkward to smooth, but will look very trick when done.

alternatively, this looks fairly nice

GOLF3CLEANFRONT.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.de/VW-Golf-3-Clean-Style-Front-Spoiler-Stossstange-NEU_W0QQitemZ8007806301QQcategoryZ40207QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a174/antera309/Nicks%20front%20bumper%20dilemma/vents.jpg

id go for the standard one with these vents' date=' and some lower bonrath ones, all smothed in, with the swage lines deleted too. this way you can keep the numberplate recess, and have a total smooth looking bumper, without indicators. im sure the bodyshop can manage that, although the intakes will be a bit awkward to smooth, but will look very trick when done.

[/quote']

The bodyshop is willing to mod up another standard bumper for me, but the job will cost

why not bite the bullet and do the mk3.5 cabrio front. original' date=' different, and guaranteed to fit and function as you'd expect!

[/quote']

Strictly Dubs had a complete Mk3.5 cabrio front end and I ummed and errred about it for months. I figured that a smoothed Mk3 front end would look better.

If another one came up now, I'd buy it.

Cost no object, that is EXACTLY what I would do. Looks awesome, doesn't it!

That's just a Mk3.5 cabrio front end (I think that car might have started as a Mk3.5 anyway) with a genuine R32 bumper on it which has been shortened by cutting out the middle and bonding the two halves back together.

I do believe that Strictly Dubs are breaking a Mk3.5 cabrio at the moment. You should give them a call Matthew!!

yeah i was offered that too but the r32 bumper has been and gone now, expect to see it on the front of a mk3 very soon. ive actually had my vento gear and smooth bumpers painted now, so im just sticking with that for now. im due a respray in the new year so may look into the r32 then. what you going for then? the german one from ebay?