268 cams - are they worth it? (NOW WITH GROUP BUY)

I'm tempted' date=' when do you need to know by?

[/quote']

Looking to get things rolling by the end of next week. But of course everybody's situation is different, so if everyone who is seriously interested would please post a date by when they would have their "well earned's" ready then i'll post a thread in 'group buys' with a date for completion.

Hopefully we'll have the order in by the end of September.

If this hasn't happened before my holiday at the end of October I might be interested in this

If you and others want me to arrange another buy later this should be fine. !lol

Would they be sent straight to us' date=' or via you? Would there be import duties and VAT?

[/quote']

Import duties & VAT?: I'll have to find this out. I'll ask if he intends on sending them as goods, but might get round it if sent as gift/sample.

Delivery to seperate sources from the US to here maybe more costly than sending them to me then me sending them onwards.

do you need followers i heard its unwise to run in new cams on old followers

I'm new to this so please feel free to correct me;

My limited knowledge has lead me to believe that new followers and uprated valve springs are recommended. The springs are not essential but as you say old followers on new cams will shorten the life of the cams.

Here's an extraxt from a web page on followers:

[blockquote]Why do I need new cam followers when using a new camshaft?

Depending on the specific valvetrain' date=' the engine might use a flat tappet or a rocker arm on the camshaft lobe. Flat tappet cams sometimes have taper across the face of the lobe. The tappet will have a slight convex radius to match this taper. When camshafts break-in the taper over the nose and the radius of the lifter is slightly worn in. If you run a lifter with a reduced (worn) radius against a new lobe with correct taper, the edge of the lobe will have concentrated loading. This high load can cause the camshaft material to break down rapidly causing a failure. Engines which use cams with direct acting rocker arms have different wear problems. The rocker arm will have a rubbing pad which the cam lobes pushes against. A mild factory cam will use less of the pads length than a high performance cam lobe will. If the rubbing pad is worn from high mileage there will be a slight ridge between the worn and the unworn sections of the pad. This ridge can scuff the new cam lobe leading to premature wear problems.[/blockquote']

Right about the follows etc. What's another few quid in parts to do the job properly.

I hate to be a killjoy, it all sounds fantastic but surprised that no one's asking the obvious as with other purchases. Who is the supplier? Does he have a website we can look at? Are there any other testimonials? What's the guarantee on his workmanship and on the product? I would want to know all the above before putting an unknown entity into my pride and joy. Sorry, just my opinion, feel free to slate me but we wouldn't knowingly use a poor quality oil in our engines. Most of us question patent parts from the likes of GSF etc over the OE items from VW and almost always plump for the VW original parts. What's different here?

Right about the follows etc. What's another few quid in parts to do the job properly.

I hate to be a killjoy' date=' it all sounds fantastic but surprised that no one's asking the obvious as with other purchases. Who is the supplier? Does he have a website we can look at? Are there any other testimonials? What's the guarantee on his workmanship and on the product? I would want to know all the above before putting an unknown entity into my pride and joy. Sorry, just my opinion, feel free to slate me but we wouldn't knowingly use a poor quality oil in our engines. Most of us question patent parts from the likes of GSF etc over the OE items from VW and almost always plump for the VW original parts. What's different here?

[/quote']

Erm........so true. So whats the answer to TVR6's questions?

I think ive seen this bloke selling his cams on ebay - ive mentioned it before in a previous post :)

That's the guy m8

I hate to be a killjoy' date=' it all sounds fantastic but surprised that no one's asking the obvious as with other purchases. Who is the supplier? Does he have a website we can look at? Are there any other testimonials? What's the guarantee on his workmanship and on the product? I would want to know all the above before putting an unknown entity into my pride and joy. Sorry, just my opinion, feel free to slate me but we wouldn't knowingly use a poor quality oil in our engines. Most of us question patent parts from the likes of GSF etc over the OE items from VW and almost always plump for the VW original parts. What's different here?

[/quote']

Fair play TVR6. Just wanted some opinions and get a feel for interest in this thread. These details would be better off in the group buy thread, but sod it.

The manufacturer is Dougherty Racing Cams

Here's the website http://www.drcamshafts.com/

As far as testimonials go check his 'about me' page on eBay http://cgi3.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=drcams

As for guarantees I'll contact tomorrow to find out.

If there are any other questions please feel free and I'll do my best to find the answer.

What's the guarantee on his workmanship and on the product??

On this subject I put the question to John @ DRCamshafts. His reply is below:

[blockquote]Hello' date='

If you find any defects in workmanship I replace it

for free after you return the part for inspection.

The VR6 is one of the better engines for camshaft

swaps. They dont have the failure problems a Chevy

would have.

And these billets do not break like some others out

there.

John[/b'][/blockquote]

Hope this helps. Will post a group buy tomorrow, so if your defo interested please look for the thread in http://www.vr6oc.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewforum.php?27

Cadguy, Thanks for the reply to my questions, I knew you'd be on the ball ;)

I hope no one thought I was slating your good intentions, I guess after a few failed projects in the past (due to rogue parts) I'm a little wary, especially with an expensive engine like the VR.

Crazy Ivan, I agree, much of the generic stuff is OEM but alot of it is substandard as I have found in the past. Down to luck or having an Oravle such as Kevhaywire ;)

Always glad to see genuine cheaper alternatives, i like to think of them as realistically and faulry priced.

Cadguy' date=' Thanks for the reply to my questions, I knew you'd be on the ball ;)

I hope no one thought I was slating your good intentions, I guess after a few failed projects in the past (due to rogue parts) I'm a little wary, especially with an expensive engine like the VR.[/quote']

No probs, we're all wary when it comes to our baby's :P

Can anyone tell me the approx weight of a pair of camshafts, so I can get a price for delivery within the UK? Ta!

Why does this have to come along so soon after I've bought a Schrick VGI, Mocal Oil Cooler, 312mm Brakes, a BMC, an enlarged TB and 17" rims. (I've only had the Rado since June :? ) I'm skint and am saving up for a remap, but would want these before a remap.

I'll decide over the weekend as I still owe some cash on the manifold.