Your biggest DIY balls up

yep we all done it once/ few times while learning lol

ok fuck it im going to tell you my BIGGEST bestest ever balls up lol (im not to fussed)

about a month into my apprenticeship many many years ago i did an oil change on my car, Sump plug was threaded from the last owner so i dropped the sump off to get it tapped at work

Having never seen under a sump before and been keen and interested i decided to remove a big end lol,

Once in my hand i shat myself, thought wtf i dunno what im doing put it back on and nipped it up (no torque settings or any think like that) It wasn't to long before i chucked a rod and wrote on my engine

learn t a lot the hard way on my first car lol

• 3 weeks later...

stupid mistake i did was changing injectors on my car. had pushed them in and got the injector rail on but it didnt look as if it was sealing/pushed in properly so i thought i would turn it over to make sure it dont leak before i put it all back together. turned the key over and it burst in to flames. had nothing to put out the flames apart from a bag of sand that i chucked over it. after that i had to have the head off to get all the sand out and change the engine wiring loom as it was charcoal.

Mine's not so much a DIY balls. More of a balls up at work.

During my first couple of years training as a mechanic I was servicing a Vauxhall Carlton. I'd used a fair amount of injection cleaner to clean the throtle body. This caused the engine to lock when I tried to start it so being the young brain of Britain I was, I took the plugs out and turned the engine over. Forgot to disconnect the coil first so it shot the injection cleaner and petrol from the plug holes and with 4 healthy sparks from leads I was greeted by a engine bay fire when I looked to see what happened. It dosn't end there..........

I grabbed the large blue powder extinguisher, pulled the pin and squeezed the trigger. After a couple of seconds the fire was out with no damage to anything under the bonnet as it had just been the cleaner buring off. Only problem was that when i releasesed the trigger the extinguisher carried on. It was designed for use on perol tankers and did not stop until it was empty. I managed to cover the whole workshop in a layer of white powder as I ran around looking for the exit. I spent the rest of the day trying to sweep up the powder then washing and wiping down the car, only to shut the door and see a puff of white power rise from the door shuts. As far as I remember the customer was none the wiser.

The End

That last ones comical!! Very Funny!!! lol

Both me and my former boss see the funny side of it now but at the time he wasn't best pleased and I thought I was going to get sacked. Years after we'd move somthing in a corner and there'd be a clear spot underneath with the white powder around it. :-d

Mine was at work also. Doing a column on a stolen astra when i was an apprentice. Started her up when i was finished, and started getting all my tools out of the footwell. i slipped into deep thought and started day dreaming, until my tech ran over shouting at me to turn it off and dragged me out of the car. Turns out i was mullered from the fumes of the petrol that was leaking out of a cut fuel pipe underneath.

not balls up but similar to above

i used to be a swimming pool engineer and was fitting a new pump and filter to a house and all the pipe is plastic glued together with very strong glue, i was just finishing last pipe and as i was sawing into it i saw it blead all blood coming out .. well it wasnt it was the glue had got to me ... i was total gone had to get anther work mate t come and drive me home, i was seeing things all day :S

lol Not me but at my last place the paint mixer got locked in the mixing room overnight

Next morning they unlocked shop and he walk out looking quite confused.. Wouldn't speak to anyone just carried on walking

End of the day someone found him on there way home 3miles away randomly walking around in a field.... Poor fella lost a fair few brain cells

not balls up but similar to above

i used to be a swimming pool engineer and was fitting a new pump and filter to a house and all the pipe is plastic glued together with very strong glue' date=' i was just finishing last pipe and as i was sawing into it i saw it blead all blood coming out .. well it wasnt it was the glue had got to me ... i was total gone had to get anther work mate t come and drive me home, i was seeing things all day :S

[/quote']

can you still get hold of the glue lol

I did an awesome one just recently ........ Had new HT leads and fitted them lovely job. Then my mechanic told me it was time for some Forte top end treatment so I dropped the oil out of her replaced my filter then filled her up with oil. I run this in then opened the bonnet unscrewed oil filler cap poured in £15 worth of forte and then slammed the bonnet onto the oil filler cap which was sitting on my number 6 HT lead and severed it. I then took the car for a thrash and realizing she was only firing on 5 i said to the wife somethings up, so had a look and my engine bay had a fresh coat of oil and forte I was not impressed.

What a muppet :@

1230068160_8485_FT9047_flame_.jpg