need to catch impreza - or get close at least

Hi all,

got beaten by an Impreza last night - not by much I mght add, but annoying nonetheless.

Have been thinking of getting chipped for a while for the extra horsies, and this has just encouraged me. My concern is that i have 113K miles on the clock (is 97P) and that chipping could limit life expentancy of my beloved,

so my Q is should I avoid getting a perf chip with already high miles?

Nothing wrong mechanically I don;t think, noisy injectors and drinks a bit of oil, but I think thats common.

Another slightly unrelated Q is how much extra HP do you get with a K&N 57i induction Kit ? as I've put off telling the insurance co. for long enough and they need to know what HP is?

cheers all

your probably better off avoiding a generic chip, ie superchips. get a custoom remap as it will be suited to your engine and the way it runs.

you wont see any HP increase with just a k&n, you would need to remap as the air/fuel mix will be the same, you will probs only see a better throttle response. i wouldnt bother thelling the insurance about your k&n untill you get it chipped.

i had a chip done at colins motorsport in congleton and when he first did it it was abit much(difficult to put in words) so took it back and he made sum changes and is faster than standard but not balls out he said thats how alot of ppl like it he called it a drivablity chip( takes out flat spots with mild tune) power chip to be run only on 98ron fuel ) was only 150plus vat

just ever so slighty pinked on full load prob due to fuel or cam chains (done now) just wanted it backed off a wee bit

brg: got 183bhp/181lb with standard airbox (cone filter would prob give 5-10bhp more imo)

with chip feels more useable better throttle response normal vr has flat spot around 3000to4000 rpm

tbh honest m8, youre gonna have a hard time beeting a scooby, 1 its got 4 wheel drive and will most definatelly waste any vr6 off the line, 2 our 176bhp is pretty respectable, but those japanese scoff and laugh at these figures....vr6's are pretty strong engines and are good for forced induction which could help you out, i recommend supercharging, its progressive and will deliver power like a stock engine, rather than a turbo, which is more seat of the pants.

WRX STi and import WRX scooby engines put out 260BHP-300BHP, although there is a fair bit of transmission loss through the 4wd.

To keep up with one of these you'd need to go for some sort of forced induction, supercharging being the easiest route.

i had a chip done at colins motorsport in congleton and when he first did it it was abit much(difficult to put in words) so took it back and he made sum changes and is faster than standard but not balls out he said thats how alot of ppl like it he called it a drivablity chip( takes out flat spots with mild tune) power chip to be run only on 98ron fuel ) was only 150plus vat

o shit i didnt know the 98 ron bit i normally put 95 ron in !dodge

sure scoobys will but us off the line and have a strong advantage round the twisty bits but for the most part i'm driving on the A roads and motorways, where i'm really not that far off - maybe a second or two over 1/2 mile...190bhp with k&N + remap sounds like a good start to me for getting that back

...or maybe 'He' is just driving like a pussy, and knowing who was in the car to which i was referring, is a definate possibility.

bit of research over the weekend lead me to believe custom remap lots more that 150-200quid more like 3-400 - anyone else had similar for that price ?

With decent modifications you could come close to keeping up with a standard UK spec Impreza (which has 208-215bhp standard). Imprezas mid to top range acceleration are their weak spots. Forget off the line races. 4 wheel drive will always win. If it's a WRX (Japanese import) definitely forget it. They are much lighter than the UK version and have 240 to 280 bhp standard..most will be close to 300 with just a performance exhaust and air-filter. However many of these Jap import imprezas go bang as the drivers don't know how to drive them or have the money to actually look after them for more than a few months. I'd be interested how you get on if you get your car supercharged. With forced induction you could beat quite a few subarus. Good luck with your mods.

As we're on the subject of Subaru's......I had a nice little tussle with a P1 the other night ;)

I'd literally just pulled away from a set of traffic lights so was still in first gear, and the P1 had just drawn up along side me, so a slight rolling start if you like, was doing literally 5mph.

Looked over at him, gave him the cheeky grin......he looked like he was up for a play, so off we went........well, i was certainly suprised by the outcome, seems though the P1 has 280bhp and 0-60 in around 4.8 secs.

We only went through 1st & 2nd, but we were side by side.....and that's after i hit the limiter in 1st and forgot to change gear momentarily!!

Pushed an E46 M3 out of the way on the motorway the weekend before as well, he just couldn't compete with supercharged power.......he was still chasing me at 140mph (on a private stretch of road) but he couldn't catch me. We were side by side, i pulled past him in 4th, and pulled away in 5th........he wasn't happy to say the least!!