MK3 Golf VR6 Indicator problem

Hello,

This a first post for me so here goes;

I have a 1996 Golf MK3 VR6 (RHD UK) and when I operate the indicators left or right the correct green direction arrow flashes as it should, but the rear fog tell tail light on the fog lamp switch flashes in sequence with the indicators, this is only the light on the switch only, not within the dash binnacle.

The indicators also stopped working today when operated and then when cancelled worked again.

Has anyone had this issue or got any pointers please?

Thank you.

Edited by Gelly

Hi,

The relay in position 6 of the fusebox (from memory) is the flasher relay: this does the on-off-on switching and should be common to left and right.

The next bit is the indicator switch on the steering column. This switches the flasher relay output to the intended direction (plus the Hazard lights switching).

The indicator lights on the dashboard are simple 12v bulbs and are fed directly from the wire to the relevant front indicator.

As the fog light comes on with the indicator, there is probably a ground problem in your tail light cluster.

The current should flow through the indicator switch to the indicator bulb, and to the car body (back to the battery).

When there is corrosion in the cluster, the ground to the car body is impeded and so the current flows via ANY route (possibly through the fog light) to get to the body. Both lights then appear dim as instead of 12v appearing across the indicator bulb, we get 12v across two bulbs to get to ground.

Remove the rear clusters and clean the contacts to the wiring harness, and the contacts to the bulbs.

Report back with your progress...

Hello,
I have had a chance to dismantle the rear light fittings as you suggested and I have found a corroded plug and terminal to the NSR light fitting which I’m sure would cause earth issues you described. When I used a direct earth from the light fitting to the battery neg terminal the fog light warning switch tell tale light did not flash, so hopefully I’ve found the culprit.
I just need to clean this all up now and improve the earth situation for the light fitting I hope 🤞 
Thanks again for your help.
attachment.php?attachmentid=38721&stc=1attachment.php?attachmentid=38722&stc=1

CAA06E95-4B67-4699-9AA8-B403EF6FD397.jpeg

BC0A94B8-8224-4F00-8620-4DC548F2A4E1.jpeg