Vw corrado vr6 engine clearance

So the front engine mount failed and the engine twisted and damaged the bonnet so i had all 3 engine mounts replaced and bonnet repaired and painted but when driving the car today i can hear the engine is still thumping the bonnet when i change gear, is there any other parts that may be faulty in order for the engine to move so far.

Hmm - there are only the three mounts holding the engine/gearbox in place. The back two on the steering subframe and the front on the engine subframe.

Does the front subframe look twisted?

Is it really the engine hitting - or something else?

If you have someone else with you, try to see if the engine moves on the clutch.

• Put your foot on the brake
  • Select first
  • Bring the clutch up (don't let the car move!).
    • There should be a bit of movement, but not that much.
    • Repeat with reverse gear.

Report back with your findings...

I've just read your wanted post - I guess you found your problem!
Yes at some point the crossmember was changed out for one out of say a g60 corrado and the top half of the rubber mount was cut off in order to lower the engine to allow clearance between engine and bonnet, so when i put in another mount it has pushed the engine up high.
So rather than cut the mount just to make do i am searching for the correct crossmember because if i cut the mount down it will probably rip apart in no time.
  • 3 weeks later...
Yes at some point the crossmember was changed out for one out of say a g60 corrado and the top half of the rubber mount was cut off in order to lower the engine to allow clearance between engine and bonnet, so when i put in another mount it has pushed the engine up high.
So rather than cut the mount just to make do i am searching for the correct crossmember because if i cut the mount down it will probably rip apart in no time.
Got the correct engine carrier for corrado vr6 2nd hand bought in from Germany and fitted to car on Thursday just in time for MOT last night and happy to say the car passed without any issues