Hi,

I have a 2001 VW Jetta VR6 with the 2.8L AFP VR6 engine in it.
I've noticed recently that upon cold start there is a rattling sound that occurs pretty loudly, doesn't sound like rod knock at all and it's inconsistent. The sound itself sound like a tapping noise, two taps milliseconds apart (intermittent) which don't occur consistently. The two taps will occur maybe three times in a row and then go away, come back about two seconds later and will continue to make this sound until the engine reaches operating temperature. Once it reaches operating temperature and has been driven for a while, the sound will remain though not as loudly.

VIDEO LINK:https://youtu.be/Ev2h2C7FWhI

Vehicle Info:
129k miles
Liquimoly 5w40 oil change every 4500 miles
Clutch, throwout bearing, flywheel, pressure plate and shift fork done a few thousand miles ago
Valve cover gasket done a few hundred miles ago
Upper and lower chains/guides done at 101k miles
No plastic in the oil pan
No glitter in the oil since last oil change
Intake shift rod has had bushings replaced

Took serpentine belt off and ran car, noise still remained.

I initially thought that the issue could be a stuck lifter, but when I did the valve cover gasket I made sure to check each cam lobe and each lifter for odd markings and wear with each one checking out perfectly fine. I really don't know if that could be it?

Despite the sound being present, I have never had any issues performance wise with the engine as it's always seemed to run healthy apart from this one rattling sound.

I have been told to run 5w30 by the person who worked on my car when the previous owner had it. He stated he had people with VR6s running 5w40 that were really loud and ticky, but as soon as they ran 5w30 all the noises went away.

If anyone has had an issue like this before, it would be awesome if I could get some insight as to what it could possibly be as I really don't know anymore.

Edited by GavanVR6