Long time owner, new to this forum, looking for advice

Hello everyone,

I'm a long time VW/Audi owner and just found this forum specifically for the venerable VR6... What a great find! 

I'm an older guy living in the suburbs of Portland, Oregon with a 2003 GTI VR6 24v M6 transmission in need of some advice...

The car is a pure toy that I've had for about 10 years, Reflex Silver, 2 door, black leather, sunroof, Miltek exhaust and 18" wheels... but it is in need of some major repairs and I can't quite figure out what I want to do.

The engine has roughly 250k and is in need of timing chains, but my mechanic's concern is there may be other as yet unidentified problems.

So my four options are:

1) New motor 

2) New timing chains and whatever else may be revealed 

3) Sell at a super cheap price 

4) Scrap 

Thoughts from the group?

IMG_20200608_233542.jpg

IMG_20200608_233442.jpg

Edited by ddillas

Hey ddillas,

Welcome to the forum.

It seems a shame to be talking of scrapping or shifting the car on...

I would be inclined to replace the timing chains and sliders, crank seal and maybe the tensioner and deal with what other problems are uncovered.

Maybe replace the clutch and skim the flywheel while its off, too?

Why are you thinking of a new motor? Replacing the timing chains is a pain to do, but well worth the effort.

If you put a different motor in, you have an engine you don't know the history of. Whereas you know your engine is decent - having had it for 10 years.

Let us know what you decide!