MY GOLF VR6 PROJECT

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up a bit of a shed not so long ago which I plan on restoring, its a 3 door mystic blue vr6 with about 109k on the clock. Needs a fair bit of work.   both sills need repairing (rust/corrosion)  

Been finding some Puddles on the front passenger and driver side. I Know the seals On the doors are shot including windows, which will be replaced soon but water was entering from behind the fuse box

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

Finally got the car booked in for a full respray with the glass out. Been tempted to get it done in another colour but iv decided to keep it in its original colour (mystic blue) , i was planning on getting the wheels done however i have seen a set I really like and the price seems good so might just take the plunge and pick them up so these will be up for sale with the tyres soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Image1659557622.010648.jpg

Quick update, its been a while, car should be painted in the next few weeks, Too many things going on with work etc so not had the time to update. I have decided to do something slightly different with the paint however the base colour will remain mystic blue ...

Image1659557741.038148.jpg

Image1659557759.254807.jpg

Image1659557788.505950.jpg

Im getting rid of the roof Ariel, iv also had the rear wiper removed, the hole has been flattened down as there is a small ridge around it so this was flattened with a grinder. The new sills have been treated and the bodyshop has applied some red oxide before he continues with the work.

This project has taken a lot longer than expected however it will be worthwhile (i hope)

The rear quarter glass was stuck on using some adhesive which was not done professionally therefore the whole area had to be grinded down to bare metal to remove the excess residue, it was then treated then primed.

The bodyshop has been cracking on so maybe it will be done sooner than expected. Although the car has been sat there almost for a year lol. He has stone chipped the undersides of the wings to give it some extra protection. The sills will also be done however the will be smooth without the bumpy effect. Im dreading putting it back together its been so long! Anyway here are some more pic's.

All the black bits such as front splitter, scuttle tray, and rear bumper strip will be in satin black, i like to keep the original look.

Image1659808065.983051.jpg

Image1659808075.382874.jpg

Image1659808091.732969.jpg

Image1659808111.286700.jpg

• 2 months later...

So i finally picked up that car, for some reason its refusing to start! I can not hear the fuel pump prime. The new battery installed was dead due to some negligence from the bodyshop so i ended up getting a new one under warranty. Still won't start, i then started to inspect the fuse box as i know for sure it has had water getting in just above it so possibly corroded in some parts. Some of the fuses did not sit flush therefore i just replaced the fuse box last night. Now i found a red connector which was inserted in 30/30B once removed i noticed one of the pins was burnt however i can not recall if there was anything connected to this, im kind of sure it was always empty. Been reading some conflicting info online regarding this so im stuck. I have ordered a new red connector and im waiting on more information about what should be connected or if it needs to be bridged or left as is. 

any help would be appreciated 

F49CEA9E-2E20-4F75-8579-5247E3160CB5.jpeg

61DE9E2A-0886-4E16-9526-36A4EF1F86A0.jpeg

DF3D11E7-69CA-4EE2-B96B-BC43400EEEF0.jpeg

ED4E4D6B-7AAE-40A4-B7DA-07C2539BCE52.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got it started! Replaced the old fuse box as it didn't hold some of the fuses properly, was replaced with a very clean used one. The non start issue was due to a dead fuel pump, so ended up replacing that last night, looked like the original factory pump so no surprise it was dead. Started on the button after 1 year! Will be building the car over the next couple of days.

Image1667678639.147307.jpg

Old pump

Image1667678667.048389.jpg

Replaced with a new one

Image1667678682.098282.jpg

Image1667678690.839492.jpg

Late to the party but great read mate and well done for sticking in with it. Loads of people would have stripped this one for parts after finding all that rot! I don't know if you got to bottom of your leaks but sunroof drains are always a first culprit in my experience. Either clogged up or cracked/split. Best to remove them and inspect, easy to do while everything is apart anyway. Good luck!

Late to the party but great read mate and well done for sticking in with it. Loads of people would have stripped this one for parts after finding all that rot! I don't know if you got to bottom of your leaks but sunroof drains are always a first culprit in my experience. Either clogged up or cracked/split. Best to remove them and inspect, easy to do while everything is apart anyway. Good luck!

Thank you for the motivation and yeah i checked these drains out i gave them a good clean poured water down them and they seemed fine. however i put the leaks down to the windscreen, it was not sealed correctly it had gaps in the glue/sealant, this was removed and a brand new screen fitted, it was thoroughly cleaned around the edges treated, painted and sealed perfectly.

Image1667774465.924814.jpg

also the bottoms off the doors on the inside where clogged and the water couldn't escape through the drain holes so it ended up inside the car, gave these a good clean and all is good.

To be honest if there was any further rust I probably would have stripped it, thankfully it was just the arches, sills inner/outer and part of the floor lol

Will be putting the interior back together this week so hopefully not long before its complete. Shame i wont be driving it until the summer haha its not seen the road for 2 years and iv only done 5-10 miles since I purchased it and that was just to move it around and a test drive.

I know the feeling, I had the same with my own screen but it was only a minor leak. Did it myself first time around, removed original screen with diamond wire (took hours!) and managed it without breaking it, was well chuffed. It only lasted 2 years until it cracked as I used sikaflex/tigerseal to remount it. Fella that came to remove it had hell of a job getting it back out 😄 

Mine is off road for the winter again, and I'm already suffering withdrawal, 2 years is a long time without hearing that exhaust note. Good luck with the rebuild, hope it goes well. If you need anything, clips/trim etc I'm on ebay (seller:fog-allan) drop me a message 👍 I'm not on here often and don't have Facebook unfortunately but always have one or 2 mk3's breaking. 

I know the feeling, I had the same with my own screen but it was only a minor leak. Did it myself first time around, removed original screen with diamond wire (took hours!) and managed it without breaking it, was well chuffed. It only lasted 2 years until it cracked as I used sikaflex/tigerseal to remount it. Fella that came to remove it had hell of a job getting it back out  

Mine is off road for the winter again, and I'm already suffering withdrawal, 2 years is a long time without hearing that exhaust note. Good luck with the rebuild, hope it goes well. If you need anything, clips/trim etc I'm on ebay (seller:fog-allan) drop me a message I'm not on here often and don't have Facebook unfortunately but always have one or 2 mk3's breaking. 

My screen was fine, i intended on having it removed and sealed however i nipped the corner with a screwdriver whilst poking around and it caused a small crack which then spread, i curse that damn screwdriver till this day! Loll... I actually may need clips for the interior so i will most definitely check your
Page out. Hope theres a discount
  • 4 weeks later...

Got the interior sorted, carpet, seats all in. I ended up using some thick plastic sheets on the inside of the doors before putting on the door cards. The membrane was shot and there was nothing between the door and door card. Read a few posts on here and ended up using thick plastic sheeting. Im just glad its sealed and water tight.

Image1669749325.620936.jpg

Image1669749342.870230.jpg

• 4 months later...

Not long before the car will be out.. I just had the last few bits of the bodywork completed today and had it undersealed.. weather was lovely today so I had to drive it back to my storage couldn't resist .

Hopefully this week I will have the new alloys on and also get the tracking done. Breaks may need bleeding as its slightly stiff at the pedal, it hasn't been driven at all except moving it back and forth.

After all the work I was looking forward to enjoying it unfortunately due to losing my storage facility end of this month I may be letting the car go.. still undecided and it's something I DO NOT want to do. I do have a drive way and a cover but I intended to keep it dry stored for as long as I could. It has always been stored indoors and has never seen rain in my ownership. Hopefully something comes up in regards to storage.

Pictures of the car will be up HOPEFULLY this weekend im excited to share with everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a bit busy so never had the chance to post and update. Got the alloys on few days ago has a lovely look to it now. Everything seems to be fine however im having a strange issue with the windows. They seem to have a mind of their own going up and down. Sometimes i can put them up other times the switches don't do anything need to figure this out