MY GOLF VR6 PROJECT

Finally made some time today to get a few jobs done. Started by installing the new central locking pump in boot. Stood back made a prayer and pressed the button IT WORKS! Thats one thing out the way. Next was the heater blower and resistor, straight frwd job and what a relief it all works fine. Thats 2 things ticked if the TO Do list.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Picked up a bit of a shed not so long ago which I plan on restoring, its a 3 door mystic blue vr6 with about 109k on the clock. Needs a fair bit of work.   both sills need repairing (rust/corrosion)  

Been finding some Puddles on the front passenger and driver side. I Know the seals On the doors are shot including windows, which will be replaced soon but water was entering from behind the fuse box

Posted Images

It cost me just shy of £1000, i had the inner and outer sills done, jacking points (reinforced) all the arches where ever there was rust, floor panel as it was patched up previously by a cartoon character lol.. also the drain holes i got rid of. Still a long list of things to do before i send it for a full paint job. The Weather and "covid" doesn't help. Hopefully will start making time during the day to do the odd few jobs. If it was sat on my drive i would most likely crack on but now that the welding has been done i have dried stored it.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a couple of hours today on the car, cleared all the bits and bobs out and then proceeded to give it a clean. I wire brushed some of the surface rust and then went over this with some rust treatment just to prevent it from reoccurring. Also there was a lot of dust from the welding job. Hopefully will go over this with a hoover and then degrease the whole inside of the car before I prep it for painting inside.

Front end friday!! Lol

stripped the front end today, wanted to make sure there wasn't any surprises under there, thankfully all is well and solid. Luckily when I removed the wings they had very minor surface rust around the edges. I gave this a clean and used some rust convertor just to be safe. I will be using something on the insides of the wings to help protect them a little more.

Bumper was held in by 3 screws what a shame. So will be picking up some fresh bolts to replace the old ones and also the missing ones. Im in 2 minds if i want to delete the front fogs or keep them..: hmmm will have a think.. my old vr6 i had them blanked and painted looked pretty sweet.

Image1612543114.596283.jpg

Image1612543125.971150.jpg

Image1612543133.907500.jpg

Removed the hella lights today for a quick tidy up and also to replace some missing bolts. Lots of over spray on the outer covers, so i will give these a clean and give it a spray with some spray tint as I want them to look slightly darker but at the same time glossy. Took a fair bit of scrubbing to get these clean. Hopefully once done they will look mint. Will upload pics once done, but here is what they where like before and after cleaning them

Image1612808107.083147.jpg

Image1612808115.728377.jpg

Image1612808124.614161.jpg

Image1612808131.906706.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Was working on the car late the other night. Started by cleaning under the scuttle tray, removed the wiper motor, Ecu and pollen filter housing. Gave it all a clean and then wire brushed the whole area as i wanted to apply fresh seam seal and also seal the bonnet release grommet properly. As i wire brushed i noticed some rust about 50p size just by the bonnet release grommet. The seam seal just came away so im guessing this could have been the source of the water leak inside the car. I cleaned the area and applied some treatment, left it to dry and then 24'hours later i applied fresh seam seal. Will be doing a second layer tonight.

Image1613576483.881202.jpg

Image1613576497.218067.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Right... gave the inside of the car a once over with some paint (rustoleum), will be sanding it down lightly and do a second coat. Cleaned up all the surface rust here and there wasn't much as I had some welding work done so the main rusty areas where taken care of. I applied some rust prevention liquid. I did lift some of the old seam sealer and then re applied some fresh seam sealer.

I also removed everything from under the scuttle tray and gave this a clean (again) and then painted it. I sealed the rubber bung under the ecu and also the bonnet release grommet. I Went over the whole area with some black rust prevention paint. The area is hidden so not bothered about it, as long as its clean and water tight im happy. I also put a new seal on for the pollen housing but i did use a little silicone aswel to make sure its definitely water tight underneath.

Door cards seemed half dead so for the next few days i will work on these and the seats at home. This will allow the paint to properly dry before i go back to it. Seats will also undergo some deep cleaning and restoring.

I managed to paint and then use some under-seal on and around all the arches, also painted the front crash bar black to protect it from any rust in future and also because i had some time on my hands lol..

Been thinking whilst i have everything stripped i may aswel paint the insides of the wings. I gave them a good clean again right down to bare metal where I noticed small surface rust. I Will be applying some anti corrosion primer and then paint them or Possibly use some waxy oil over the top before putting these back on to the car.

Not much left now for me to do once the remainder of the "to do list" is complete. I need to replace the secondary water pump/AUX water pump. I will then get the engine serviced and carbon cleaned. Once all this is done then its time for a full respray.

Iv had the battery disconnected whilst i completed some work. Hooked it back up and now the car wont start. Not sure if its an immobiliser fault, a relay or fuel pump dead. It cranks it wants to start but doesn't. Removed fuel pipes nothing coming through whilst cranking. Had it hooked to vcds nothing on there. Everything is exactly how it was so not sure why it wont start. Another one on the list

Ended up removing the fuse box and gave it a good clean with some contact cleaner. Replaced fuses and hoped for the best... and it lives! Started up straight away, was very happy... in the mean time im trying to source some parts such as rubber seals and a door hinge. Iv got a brand new aux water pump/after run coolant pump, that was delivered yesterday so will hopefully flush out the coolant and fit this. Will be having some engine work done so will replace the thermostat then. I used some red oxide on the insides of the wings after wire brushing them to bare metal. Once they are painted i will apply some under seal or something simular then to hopefully prolong the life of them.

i will also be replacing the windscreen, i was giving the channels on the side a clean and trying to assess if there was a gap and like a idiot i chipped it and since then it has spread so I'll just have it replaced. That way i know the screen is properly done, the area under the scuttle panel has been cleaned, re-sealed and painted, fresh seam sealer applied too. The rusty hole in the arch has also been fixed so hopefully it will be water tight.

• 1 month later...

Quick update. Been very busy with work so never really got round to doing anything.

Had a mechanic out today, had all the fluids, water, and all filters changed. The fuel filter was a joke looked like it was the original one from factory but could be wrong. Had a new after run coolant pump fitted, the old one was shot pretty badly. So far so good, just need to remove the doors and boot-lid and start sending it to the body shop.

• 4 weeks later...

You have got the same comedy brake fluid sensor cap as I had.

There is a plastic cap that fits over the rod and limits the travel.

This seems to ping off over time.

I made a new one from a cap I found in my plumbing box.

It needs to be sealed to protect the brake fluid and the contacts on the sensor.

Cheers Pete

You have got the same comedy brake fluid sensor cap as I had.

There is a plastic cap that fits over the rod and limits the travel.
This seems to ping off over time.

I made a new one from a cap I found in my plumbing box.
It needs to be sealed to protect the brake fluid and the contacts on the sensor.

Cheers Pete

Can you show me please so i can adjust mine too