On a mk3 vr6 once car gets to temp radiator fans kick on and stay on i believe since no matter the weather when i come to a stop they are on and don't go off till car is off and stay on for five minutes like they should but i dont think they should be on the whole time after car is warmed up??need fixed i dont want to have to buy new fans😔i have unplugged the yellow 4 pin sensor in coolant flange and fans turn off so it is working i guess .any help os appreciate so much.

20200825_013933.jpg

It does sound like one of your temperature sensors is "iffy".

There is a comprehensive post regarding the cooling system over on the-corrado.net:

https://the-corrado.net/topic/38215-the-definitive-vr6-cooling-guide/

The post explains what the various sensors do and how to identify them (it makes reference to early and late VRs - yours would be late).

VAG COM (now called VCDS) won't help here - other than seeing what the ECU thinks the coolant temperature is.

The radiator/fan system is simple - if one of the sensors thinks the coolant is too hot, turn the fan on.

Your answer is in that post: you just have to follow the instructions on how to check each sensor in turn.

Would the thermostat make the difference??came with 71c and replaced with 180f?? i have replaced the three sensors and one on radiator even replaced the fcm and the heater core (car had no heat when i got it)

All thats left is either one of the sensors came bad ?or the radiator? Replacing all hoses top hose is weak would that cause engine to get a little hot for fan to come on? By vcds the fan comes on at 197 but then engine voes up to 210 while idleing and holds but with fans on the whole time.

Is the fan spinning gently (stage 1), or fast (stage 2)?

Did you follow the fan test on the linked post:

1. Take the plug off the rad sender
2. Take the plug off the black temp sender in the stat housing.
3. Switch ignition on.

In the rad sensor plug - red wire is stage 1, thin red/black is stage 2. The other wire is the common connection. Bridge each of the two wires in turn across the common wire and see if both speeds come on. If they do, good.

4. Bridge the black plug with a paper clip or something, does stage 3 come on? Sounds uber loud!

Did your fans behave as expected?

If so, the sensor in the radiator is suspect.

Is the sensor faulty, or is the coolant temperature not coming down?

When the radiator fan is on, does the coolant temperature drop?

Is the coolant pump working?

Does coolant actually flow through the radiator?

• 1 month later...
Just now, Vwmk3vr6 said:

Well done everything and fans still run once they reach temp 197f they dont shut off till engine is shut off and after the 5-10min but if i let it idle they never turn off stage 1 with the 71c thermastat they came on and shut off but was told not to run that cold of a thermastat so put the 180f back in going to try low temp switch next 😭