Vw corrado vr6 Yr 1995 has suddenly got a starting problem so I've had to turn the key 8-10 times and the starter is turning over fine but won't start then boom she fires up and drives fine. Maybe a fuel issue but the pump must be working if car keeps going after start up,

Any thoughts??

Hi Fleety,

Any errors reported in the ECU?

Your problem can only be fuel or spark (I guess air is fine?!).

To check for fuel:

Crank the engine (and if it doesn't start...)

Take spark plugs out and see if they smell of fuel.

If they do you must have fuel getting to the cylinder(s).

If you don't, you need to investigate why.

To check for spark:

Remove a spark plug and ground the outside and re-connect the HT lead.

Crank the engine and see if you can see a spark across the contacts.

To fine tune the actual problem, will take more effort.

From memory, there is a Relay on top of the fusebox which turns the fuel pump on. If you are not getting fuel it could be this not contacting properly - may have dirty contacts? Many be just broken? Another fuel related one is the immobiliser, but the engine runs for a few seconds before dying for that.

Report back with your initial investigation...

So I've spoken to a mechanic who has said to get the fuel filter changed out so that will be my starting point

Hi Fleety,

Any errors reported in the ECU?

Your problem can only be fuel or spark (I guess air is fine?!).

To check for fuel:
Crank the engine (and if it doesn't start...)
Take spark plugs out and see if they smell of fuel.
If they do you must have fuel getting to the cylinder(s).
If you don't, you need to investigate why.

To check for spark:
Remove a spark plug and ground the outside and re-connect the HT lead.
Crank the engine and see if you can see a spark across the contacts.

To fine tune the actual problem, will take more effort.
From memory, there is a Relay on top of the fusebox which turns the fuel pump on. If you are not getting fuel it could be this not contacting properly - may have dirty contacts? Many be just broken? Another fuel related one is the immobiliser, but the engine runs for a few seconds before dying for that.

Report back with your initial investigation...

£13.13 for a new fuel filter and boom the vr6 is back to life and engine is running Tip-top, teasing the 25+ year old nuts that hold the filter housing in place was tight but I soaked well before attempting.
Fuel filter on a vw corrado vr6 is underneath car at rear of drivers side and easy to access on basic car jacks, though I also put an axle stand in under car

So I've spoken to a mechanic who has said to get the fuel filter changed out so that will be my starting point
Oh bugger mate.

Will it start cold?
Have you checked all the fuel lines etc?
Are you getting a spark?
What is the Condition of the coil pack?
Failing all that, it could be the mobiliser!
I've just ordered a tool for pulling the plug leads out as don't want to damage, she's had new plugs and leads about 2k ago
The thing getting me is that once started spark and fuel are good. I'm limited to what I can do myself and 2 mechanics I've spoken to have gave me advice but didn't seem keen to look at it
  • 2 weeks later...
If you need some extra help you could post a question or two in the Corrado uk forum. Some active knowledgeable members on there for VR6 related.

Sorry VR6 forum.

Good luck.
So corrado vr6 was turning over but wouldn't start so I changed the fuel filter and then changed the crack shaft sensor still wouldn't start I was also having problems with the abs light staying on and brakes not pumping correctly
So after more online searching I heard mention of the ignition switch and as it happens I had bought one ages before so decided to fit.
It took me a good 2 hours as for most part I didn't realise you can actually see the screw holding switch in place if you look down the LHS of steering column when covers are removed, so fitted new switch and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with lights I've never seen Before, and car started on first turn of the key.
And the all important ABS light went out as it should even the brake pedal feels a lot firmer.
HAPPY DAYS....