1997 MK3 vr6 which has had timing chains replaced and pretty much everything external, plus shrick 268 cams internal, but has been using a bit extra oil than usual recently and is now blue smoking when driving sensibly, any one have any thoughts ?? Or what it could possibly be, I have heard could be piston rings or maybe valve stem seals?? Just want any ideas of what it could be 

Thanks Keaton 

It's usually some high mileage hardware wear and tear stuff like you've mentioned - but did you have it remapped after upgrading the cams? I'd keep an eye on all the oil aspects on older vehicles, had dodgy oil pickups/blockages etc destroy engines, even forged ones!

Did you do anything with the bottom end?

Edited by RBPE

It's done 128k and had a remap done 2 weeks after the cams were done, it's been done for 2 years now, it has regular oil change probably every 6 months, and service, I haven't done anything to bottom end, do have a slight knock on a very cold morning start up and goes after 10 seconds but recently has been more noticeable, after its reached temp, but is due a oil change, but it's never had an issue till recently with blue smoke, and does smell like burning oil when driving 😕