[SOLD] 1996 VR6 syncro 3dr

1996 3dr Golf VR6 syncro

Here we have my Golf VR6 syncro,

I have owned this car for very nearly 5 years and it has been superb right from day one. Unfortunately these days I don’t have the time available to enjoy it to its potential, although it has been MOT’d every year and kept garaged the whole time.

This is indeed a factory produced 3 door Golf VR6 syncro. It has 115,321 miles on the clock, comes with plenty of factory extras including Climatronic and heated seats, just under 12 months MOT and a solid engine and drivetrain. It is LHD as it left the factory, but please don’t let that put you off – it is very easy to get used to.

The Golf is originally from Belgium, were it stayed for 2 years before going to a father and son in Sweden where is has spent most of its life. I was then sold to an Irish gentleman who was working in Sweden at the time and he owned the car for around 6 months and then sold it to myself. It is fully UK legal and registered correctly, no trouble at all with insurance, tax etc mainly because it’s a factory produced vehicle.

Engine and gearbox:

The engine is original and is a 2.9l ABV. VR6 syncros were fitted with the larger 2.9l VR6 engine, these benefit from a double (duplex) timing chain which is very quiet in this particular example with no rattling or odd noises. This engine is a real trooper and uses no oil or water.

In the last 1000 miles it has had the following: HT leads, coil pack, rocker cover gasket, spark plugs, oil and filter. The PCV valve has been replaced and is working perfectly.

It is fitted with a custom  3” air intake with hidden MAF meter with air flow straightener and large K&N air filter. This sounds as you’d expect from a VR6 and works perfectly.

Drivetrain:

Suspension is all standard and works well. The gearbox is quiet and changes nicely, the rear differential is also quiet and functions as it should and correctly disengages the freewheel upon reversing (allows 4WD in reverse).

The brakes have had a large overhaul again in the last 1000 miles consisting of the following:

Rebuilt and powder coated 312mm front callipers and Mk4 golf rear callipers both with braided hoses with new discs, fitted with EBC yellow stuff pads which all together provides some very reassuring braking power. The ABS system also had a couple of new sensors and works perfectly.

Interior:

Black heated leather is everywhere, all working correctly and in great condition, comes with genuine tailored mats also. The ABS and airbag lights light up and turn off as they should. The Climatronic is awesome and heats/cools very well indeed, all electrics from dash lights to windows function perfectly. It is fitted with a Toad alarm which is very good and works well. All the doors and ignition use the same key which is always nice. It had a new ignition switch fitted last year as it was getting sticky. It comes fitted with an Alpine mini disc player of all things – unfortunately I don’t have any spare mini discs to give the new owner but the radio works well!

Exterior:

The body is generally good, there is a Votex spoiler fitted to the tailgate with integrated brake light – quite a rare item when you go looking. The front right hand wing would want replacing ideally but is solid, the inner wind however is in great condition. Rear arches are very good, as is the underside and sills, they are particularly good for a mk3, probably due to its time spent abroad.

It comes fitted with some mk4 golf steel wheels which are powder coated silver and lacquered, these look like G60 steel wheels as they have custom centre caps with bolt covers except they are 16” which is much more in proportion for a mk3, they are also needed to clear the 312mm brakes. The Golf is fitted with Goodyear eagle F1’s all-round which have masses of tread left.

Other information:

I have plenty of service documentation, receipts and old log books to go with the car both from abroad and the UK, I have the original clocks (in KM) with original mileage all recorded with DVLA paperwork. Also original LHD headlight glass, comes with two correct keys and alarm fobs all fully working. It has a Belgian fire extinguisher fitted in the passenger footwell – dated 1996 can’t imagine it’s much good now but fairly original! The number plates are set into the old Swedish surrounds.

Overall this is a very rare car that is very functional and solid. With a little time and effort you could have something very special indeed. It is a car that I have enjoyed owning and always generates the right type of interest. I've only listed this on here at the moment as the forum has always been good to me though out the years.

The UK pulled out its best weather for the photographs as you can see! Any of the wetness underneath is all water spray. If you need any more images please ask.

I’d like £4000 GBP for this, any questions please ask away on here or else 07834559855. Located in Rugby, Warwickshire M6 J1

IMG_5940.JPG

IMG_5949.JPG

IMG_5936.JPG

IMG_5928.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG

IMG_5952.JPG

IMG_5954.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

IMG_5924.JPG

IMG_5943.JPG

IMG_5925.JPG

Edited by jonny-5