Another electric window problem

Hi all,

I am having issues with water getting into my fron N/S window motor or connection. I stripped the door card the other day and disconnected the window as it was opening randomly on its own. I noticed the connector was wet with brown gunge. After cleaning this up and drying it out, the window returned to normal function until i washed the car, it started all over again. I can't understand how water is actually getting intot eh connection to the motor? If anyone has any idea, I waould be very grateful.

Cheers - steve

I have the same issue. After I have the car washed or it rains heavy the passenger window plays up. I find when I stop somewhere and shut the drivers door, the passenger window goes down. If I open the drivers door again and slam it the passenger one goes up again. All this silliness stops when it all dries out. I've had a new window motor (200 quid!!) and it made no difference. I'm thinking I need new window seals. I got the doors off ebay for a quid and the rubber is a bit perished. My other solution is simply to disconnect the motor and do without a passenger window opening.

Yep, I had another look at it earlier and it was all wet in there again, I got it washed on the way home Friday. I have left it disconnected for now. You're right about the window seal, I noticed it's not flush with the window on that window only. I guess it will be a nightmare finding another seal?

Cheers

Steve

I gaffer tape the window seal when I wash the car and make sure the pressure washer avoids that area.

I recently had my VR 'overhauled' and the bodywork guy managed to get new rear window seals. I'm sure you'll get them easy as they're the same for most mK3s. I just haven't got round to doing mine.

Yes.. the rain has been setting mine off too in the past so I prob need a seal for a long term solution. Oddly, rear ones are available still and there are some on VW heritage. I can't find front (mine is a 5 door) anywhere. Not the sort of thing i would buy used tbh.

Steve

The guy who revamped my car had to get new seals for the rear and it was cheaper to buy new windows with seals included! I'll admit I haven't looked for front ones. Surely any Mk3 Golf bits should fit. It has been suggested to me to just to cover the window motor in clingfilm and spray with WD40.

I am thinking there maybe some adjustment needed on the regulator. I just had a new regulator and that was not due to water getting in. I think the new regulator has maybe been fitted but not adjusted correctly. The seal is literally in as new condition. 

Steve