General cutting out not starting grmelins. Please can any forum guru help me out with a diagnosis.

Hi there.  Can anyone help me with this ongoing problem that is getting steadily worse. 

I have a MK3 VR6 what was first registered in 1997 that I have owned for a few months. 

Since I have owned it once in 25 times for no apparent reason it simply will not start.  This could be first thing on a morning when cold (However starts fine the other approx 24 time in minus 5 after a night outside)  similarly and most embarrassingly it could be after working fine all day and then refusing to start back up after a momentary engine off stop for petrol. 

The solution to this annoying and embarrassing problem (haha look at the guy with the old golf pfft) is to leave it alone for 30 mins and then try it again and it will burst back into life like this has never ever happened. 

The problem has now progressed.  To the point where when I am driving it cuts out.  Its now done this 3 times but twice restarted right away.

Tonight was the last straw.  An obnoxious sod was in his BMW in the right hand  / overtaking lane of my local dual carriageway.  He thought he would impress his GF and instead of just pulling over (I wasent driving aggressively) he would just burn me off.  Unfortunately for him I now have a VR6 and kept pace with him and eventually he gave up and I shot past him.  Ahhhhhh felt great! 

He went straight on and I entered the off ramp to turn off.  It goes down to a traffic lit round about at it was rush hour.   After all that amazing performance just moments ago with the BMW (Hence me mentioning it) it just cut dead.  Queues of traffic up my backside.  Of course would it hell start.  But once again after leaving it alone for 30 mins (Like a tosser with everyone having to drive around my now golf fish bowl I seemed to be in) it bursts back into life like it was nothing wrong.  This prove the battery is strong as I must have panic turned it over many times. 

A few other symptoms to mention that mayor may not be related.  ABS light rarely, once a fortnight comes on for 5 mins.  Then  goes out.  This one is terrible!!  My VR6 is automatic and it will acctually start in D or any gear.  Very very dangerous!!  I know other automatics wouldn't start or even turn over in any gear other than D or N.  So automatics and the car starting must all be interlinked. 

Can anyone please shed any light onto what is going on here.  I have wanted a VR6 for decades.  I really really want to love this car more than any woman  but need to have faith in it.  This is my only ride.  Right now after tonight's fiasco with this car being my only ride I will be getting the bus for a while. 

Hi Kola
Can you tell me what keys/immobiliser system you have for the car. If you have the conlog setup then I may be able to help. When you say the car doesn’t start can you be more specific
I.e does the engine turnover but not start or does it not turnover at all ? If the latter it’s most likely the immobiliser signal to the starter. If it’s the former then it could be the immobiliser signal to the fuel pump
In either case my recommendation would be to remove these circuits (fairly easy job and I’ve done it)
Check in your glovebox to see if you have the slot for your keyfob and this will confirm if you have the factory fitted conlog system
If you have then when faced with the non start issue place your fob in the slot and see if it starts
Let me know how you get on
With regards to your auto box there is a transmission range sensor which detects which gear you are in and prevents starting in any gear other than park or neutral. If this signal is not present or not correct then this could prevent you from starting the car. Doesn’t explain the car cutting out though I will give this some more thought
Kind regards mark

The more I think about it the more it seems the immobiliser signal to the fuel pump. I would just remove this from the fuse box wiring and be done with it !
Do you have a smaller fob which you have to touch on the dash to start like a toad alarm or something ?

Hi Markie,

Just coming back here to update.  It cut out again the next day and the RAC ran a diag on it.  It pointed to the G28 Engine Speed Sensor.  A part what seems to go by at least three names just to confuse the novice even further. 

If you google (like I did after getting the results of the diag) G28 and Mk3 Golf the net is littered with people with the same problem. 

I have no clue why any and all MK3 forums do not have a Sticky stating if your Mk3 wont start or is intermittent change this plug and play 20 quid part.  Hell just change it as you buy your Mk3.  Its peanuts and simple to fit. 

Such a shame you were the first person to post a reply.  Im thankful you have.  It would be nice to find a forum where there were many active MK3 members all conversing and such.  I appreciate to the old sweats its all been done but to new sweats like me who eats and dreams Mk3s it would be really nice to find a forum thats active.  No offence to this forum specifically.  Many are like this.  IE 100 views and no replies per post.  Its quite deflating to think I am the last man standing who remembers / loves Mk3 VR6s :-/   Saddening
Thanks again for your reply and trying to help fella.  Appreciated. 

Hi
Has this sensor replacement fixed the issue ?
I don’t understand why this would cause the engine to cut out. It would seem to me quite dangerous for the engine ecu to take that decision and rather would enter limp mode if running ?
Just a thought
Regards
Mark