I have a Vr6 engine in a MK2 and the engine is turning but not starting.

There is a strong smell of fuel when the engine is cranked. Any Ideas?

Recently had a new fuel filter and tank is half full.

Sounds like something has come lose. I would get the system fully checked

I assume it has been working? If you are getting a strong smell of fuel, is it leaking out of the filter before its getting to the engine? 

Is the filter put in back to front. Not sure if this can cause an issue, but it has a direction arrow on it for a reason. The arrow should be pointing towards the engine. 

So if you have fuel... Next thing to check is are you getting a spark. If you have a timing light then use this on every lead. I have one that is a non contact one from back in the day when you used to have to time up cars, Google Timing Lamp. about 20 quid or so. HT leads are high voltage so pulling them off and touching the block to see if its going to spark, especially with a "Strong smell of petrol" is not something i would recommend. 

I had a no start problem on my 98 VR6 and it turned out to be the Crank sensor. The man from the AA said it can magnetize and all you need to do is short it out. Probably getting a capacitance but he did what he did and it started.

If your getting a spark, fuel is pumping into the cylinders then next thing is a compression test, but your starting to get in to bigger costs for DIY and it may be a case of cutting your losses and getting a mechanic to look at it.

If the car has an ODB II socket get a copy of Vagcom (if you can afford it) and put it on a laptop and plug it in to the ODB II socket and do a scan. There are other ODB II Systems out there but for VW Vagcom is pretty trick. Not sure about the Mk2 as mine is a mk3.