hello there, i have a 97 mk 3 golf vr6 , it has been off the road for 3 years , it has always been started and run at least twice a week. recently it has started to have intermiten starting problems, it will start first and run fine but if you turn it off and try to start it again it won,t start , if i disconect the battery leave it for 15 mins then reconect the battery and try again the car will start but it will then do the same thing again ! any ideas ? 

5 hours ago, paul lane said:

hello there, i have a 97 mk 3 golf vr6 , it has been off the road for 3 years , it has always been started and run at least twice a week. recently it has started to have intermiten starting problems, it will start first and run fine but if you turn it off and try to start it again it won,t start , if i disconect the battery leave it for 15 mins then reconect the battery and try again the car will start but it will then do the same thing again ! any ideas ? 

As noggin said it could be a host of things? If its been off the road 3 years and only started up and not driven? then things are not getting used, ie; sensors ect.

Check the lambda sensor, also does it still retain the original factory immobiliser, as that could possibly factor into the problem.. :ph34r::huh:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there
I had a similar issue on my 96 vr6. It turned out to be the immobiliser which was wired to the fuel pump. You can check this by listening for the pump to engage on the first turn of the ignition key.
In the end I joined the pump feed directly as the immobiliser was faulty.
As mentioned though it could be a number of things eg fuel pump relay or your maf sensor
Have you checked all the obvious stuff ?
Mark

• 1 year later...
On 21/07/2019 at 9:41 PM, Phylo99 said:

Thanks have you had any experience with this problem? Where are they located 

Yes mate. I got stranded a couple of times when the car refused to start. I'd leave it half hour and it would fire up.

My mate fixed it for me so I don't know where they're located. I'm sure youtube or google have the answer.