1. Pop Hood, and unplug your battery (to avoid damage to you and your new alternator- some like to touch neg terminal to body to ground-out/drain any remaining power)
    2. Remove air cabin filter housing by the serpentine belt, remove anything in the way of you and both your hands reaching the alternator.
    2. Use an M8 bolt to release tension from the tensioner pulley on the serpentine belt.
    3. Jack the engine upwards from below, some use the oil pan to jack the engine upwards, I use a thin piece of wood as a softener, and find a solid chunk of engine to jack upwards.
    4. Once the engine looks jacked up enough to where the alternator clears your frame, that's plenty.
    5. If your spare alternator does not have a pulley, remove the old alternator pulley now by loosening it (reverse, left = tighten; right = loosen for this pulley)
    6. After step 5 (if needed) is done, remove wires carefully from the bum-end of the alternator, there should be a nut there that you need to keep, so be mindful to not lose this.
    7. Start unbolting your alternator from bottom bolt first, to top lost, I've found this to be personally easier, but you can unbolt this any order you like.
    8. The alternator and the long bolts with it, should now come upwards and out with ease- if not, repeat step 3 a little more, but be careful.
    9. Slap in that new alternator and assemble the harness wiring back onto the bum-end of it carefully (a mk3 by now has aged wiring, and can crack-the heat from a vr6 eats wires) :(
    10. Rebolt your alternator from top to bottom, torque it down safely, and you're almost done! (If you're re-using your old pulley for the new alternator, NOW would be the time to do so.
    11. Be sure your serpentine belt is in the proper fashion, and remove the M8 bolt from your tensioner pulley hole
    12. Get your key ready in the driver's door, re-connect your battery, and quickly turn the key into unlocked position from the driver's door before the annoying mk3 alarm goes off.
    13. Slowly and gently unjack the engine, re-install your cabin air filter and anything else you threw around, and that's it- your alternator is now installed onto your mk3 VR6.

I hope this helped, good luck!