So he buys a golf vr6 4mo

Since a build i'm working on was taking longer than expected and it's my daily i bought a 2002 3 door Golf VR6 4Mo as a run around because they seem to be "reliable"  101k miles and clean with lots of service history suggested it had been looked after. 

Absolutely loved driving it home, till it started to misfire,  COP #3 blew, changed it out with #2 to confirm and bought another COP, then COP #3 blew again!  since the last plug change was at 82k! i bought some new to replace, when changing them it seemed that the last plug change was done by a complete novice although the history says it was done by a VAG garage!  i could remove the plugs using just an extension without a ratchet, the plugs hadn't even been seated or torqued, loads of blowby around the plugs too.  That seemed to have fixed the main misfire for now although there is still a little misfire at around 1100rpm ( should have done a compression test while doing the plugs but didn't notice then )

Then a week or so later, i notice coolant is down!  so i top it up and next day its down again after a short trip.  Water pump seems gone with a small puddle on the shit shield under it. So this weekends work is to try and get my other car out of the garage to get the "reliable" car in so i can change out the water pump and tensioner!!

Never had VAG before...

The other car... https://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=635403&page=3   It should be done in the next couple of weeks ?!, the plan is then to add a decompression plate, gt40 and some boost to the golf when my daily becomes my daily again.  I'll create a build thread then.

• 2 months later...

Yes. I had the coil pack on 5 go the day after I bought mine so I changed them all and the plugs too. Unlike you, I had to use a meter long steel tube on the end of my T bar to get the plugs out. After lots of suspension related work I have added another 40k to the odo without any further issues. There's always a job to be done though. This summer the rear subframe has to come off to be blasted. That appears to be the only rusty part I have come across so far and I've been over most of it. Nice car to work on when you can get the thing off the ground.