New member ... 01M advice needed.

Hello to everyone.  This is my first time here, but I am not completely new to VWs.  I have three Jettas, (2)2.0 wagons, and (1)1.8T sedan.  I was contacted by a kid today asking if I wanted to buy his 02 VR6 sedan.  The car has mismatched hood and front bumper, and I can see bondo in the upper portion of the drivers door.  The interior is a 10, with only a tiny bit of wear on the drivers seat bolster, but it is not bad at all.  He said the car has about 100,000 miles on it.  I stopped by very briefly to see what it looked like, but didn't have time to tinker with it.  It's been sitting for several months, and the battery is dead.  It's got nice Long Beach rims with new tires.  Car is bone stock.  Here's why he contacted me.  While he was turning into his apartment complex several months ago, he heard a noise and the car jerked while in motion, and transmission started making grinding noises.  He only had a couple of hundred feet to reach his apartment, so he tried to limp it there.  He didn't make it and had to get help pushing it the rest of the way.  Now, as it sits, the car has NO GEARS ... so to speak ... no reverse either.  Have any of you VR6 pros heard of losing everything like this?  I know that the 01M is riddled with issues, but most of what I see is due to solenoid problems and the like.  This is obviously a mechanical break of some sort, but I'm not familiar with it.  He wants $500 for it, but I think I can get it for $300.  Heck, it's got over $300 in tires alone, but the 01M is not a cheap fix most of the time.  When I stopped in to glance at it, the car had front and rear window shades in place, and every seat in it was covered with quilts ... I mean they were all tucked in and neat as a pin.  What's a car like this worth?  Any idea what it sounds like happened to this tranny?  Thanks for any input you might have!!!