Bonnet sound proofing

Hi all, quick question and peoples thoughts on the matter.

Basically is the under bonnet soundproofing actually needed or not.?

ie: is it just to deaden the noise from the engine or does it act as a heat soak to stop the outside of the bonnet

from getting to hot and damaging the paint work? I see quite a few VR's (Golf & Corrado) without it and just wondered.

Basic reason for asking is mine has seen better days and is looking rather tatty to say the least, so do I do away with it completely or do I buy a new one?

That's  obviously if its still a current item from VW...?

Thanks in advance for anyone's thoughts. ;)

Thanks for the input guys. Was just wondering as I know they run a tad hot, but with the extra warmth from the Charger I'm a little unsure as to whether to keep (ie; get a new replacement) or do away with? Thinking of getting the bonnet wrapped and don't want it to bubble up with the heat?  Was sort of thinking without it, it might get rid of the heat a bit better as I think the soundproofing is a bit of a heat soak and so keeps in unwanted heat in the engine bay area? That's just my take on it, whether that's true or not, I have no idea. Thanks again though.. :D

Morning. 

Everyone has them thoughts lol when charging the car. 

What charger are you straping on? 

It will gather heat regardless. 

I run a VF9. 

For example, look in the US, those big arse Mustangs strapped with a Charger, the heat they produce, the climate compared to the UK, it wont make that much of difference so to speak. 

I had a Carbon bonnet initially on my Mk3 then sold it and put the original one back on. 

Left the jacket on, still produced nice figures on 6psi. If I remember correctly I had 267Hp. VF9.

MJ. 

ABFD3ED1-E7DE-4570-83D0-7554A34ACE71.jpeg

On ‎22‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:47 AM, MJ Vr6 said:

Morning. 

Everyone has them thoughts lol when charging the car. 

What charger are you straping on? 

It will gather heat regardless. 

I run a VF9. 

For example, look in the US, those big arse Mustangs strapped with a Charger, the heat they produce, the climate compared to the UK, it wont make that much of difference so to speak. 

I had a Carbon bonnet initially on my Mk3 then sold it and put the original one back on. 

Left the jacket on, still produced nice figures on 6psi. If I remember correctly I had 267Hp. VF9.

MJ. 

ABFD3ED1-E7DE-4570-83D0-7554A34ACE71.jpeg

Nice looking VR you got there.. Yes think I'll source a new/try to get a new one then because as I say mines looking a bit shabby/tatty to say the least. Charger wise? I'm running a V3, and have been doing for nearly two years now and had it mapped again not so long ago, its pushing 290hp now which I'm more than happy with. :ph34r:

Thanks for the input again though, its helped me make my mind up. :rolleyes: