BUILD: high compression + W/M + long intake cams

Hey all, first post here at VR6oc. Needing some advice and guidance on a build I'm attempting to do - big fan of forum scraping and commentary, wanted to see what you guys think!

The vehicle in topic is a 2008 .:R32, 3.2L VR6 24v CBRA engine, bone stock and at 77k miles.

Let me preface this a little bit; I'm not looking to have a monster modded R32. I'm looking to go a 'safer' route with N/A and gains through efficiency, keeping true to the angry VR6. Classic 'rodder style! Boring the engine a tad, higher strength/larger pistons, longer intake cams for a bit more breath, and water/methanol injection for cleaner combustion and overall safer operating conditions.

Now, I don't have any experience inside of engines as this is my first N/A vehicle to work with, which will be more in my league for starting out. I know how engines work, understand the variables at play, I just don't know where to start looking for parts and people with experience with the platform. I live in California (USA), and have a lot of 'racing' shops around, but they've so far all scoffed at me for not wanting to fully blow this engine with F/I, and won't even quote prices for assembling/tuning what my concept is since I'm "wasting my time" with it. I'm willing to do this myself with all the documentation I can find (preferred), or potentially pay a shop if the price isn't astronomical.

I have gotten confirmation from a hot rod group near me that this is the route to go for N/A, but all of those old dudes laughed after the conversation when I showed them the car I was speaking about. Said they had no clue about parts sourcing or how to really help me, all they know is that it sounded like a good project.

My current plan is this, and I really need some feedback here, or somebody to chime in with experience.

• Raise compression to ~11.5 with 85mm forged aluminum pistons (open to brand suggestions as these are common)
  • Snow Performance N/A kit to install before the throttle body (single nozzle, as the intake manifold is great for distributed flow to the cylinders)
  • Long duration intake cams, to allow finer mixture of turbulent air/w/m (no idea here as to where to find these)
  • Custom tuning or a higher octane map, with a more aggressive timing curve

Brands? Retailers? Current builds with similar concepts in mind? Any classic 'rodders here?

I appreciate any responses, forum-goers! Thank you.

~Fritz, AKA ShadowSplicer

Edited by ShadowSplicer

Have you checked Techtonics Tuning? Idk about the 24v vr6 but they have a pretty good selection of all around parts for the 12v vr6 wether your going N/A or forced induction including pistons and cams. I've personally been looking into going forced induction with my 12v and I've heard good things about Wiseco low compression pistons, but I would have to image they have some pretty decent higher compression pistons. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but I think they're worth at least looking into

On 11/5/2017 at 12:00 PM, MylesPerHour12 said:

Have you checked Techtonics Tuning? Idk about the 24v vr6 but they have a pretty good selection of all around parts for the 12v vr6 wether your going N/A or forced induction including pistons and cams. I've personally been looking into going forced induction with my 12v and I've heard good things about Wiseco low compression pistons, but I would have to image they have some pretty decent higher compression pistons. Unfortunately I don't have any personal experience with them yet, but I think they're worth at least looking into

On 11/6/2017 at 8:23 PM, Flylow said:

Hi check with HPA & 034motorsport. They have what you need

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'll be contacting HPA and Techtonics about a custom build it seems. The suggestion of Techtonics Tuning is great, I do like some of their internals. Never heard of them before, so I'm super happy.

Still looking for other info out there, forum stalkers. ^_^ I know somebody else has tried this build before me...