advise vr6t 4motion gearbox

Currently running a 02m drp box.

4th gear has gone (weak point?) Taken 6th aswell 

running about 540 ftlb torque. 

What's my best option to do with box? Start upgrading certain parts if so how far do I go? 

I will be going for more power in the future. 

Any advise appreciated 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, how did you manage you manage that, the drp's are supposedly the best box? It's all about how much you want to spend? I have just had mine built with a quaife, solid input shaft, 4th gear support, 02q selector forks and diesel final drives cost £2k. I hope to run 550-600, if it was more I would look to shot peening and superfinishing and cryo treatment.

I used Gas'n'gears in wales, known as HotGolf on the gti forum, top man!

let me know how you get on

s

Edited by ssaunders

I think it's the torque that's done it. Around 725 nm it's running. Looked into gearsets which say they good for about 600 :/. Will be going for big power/torque next year aswell.I have a spare box which I'm throwing in. Then the broken one will be done up to a higher standard. I did speak to this guy. Very helpful. 

On 07/10/2017 at 0:21 AM, motorrob said:

I think it's the torque that's done it. Around 725 nm it's running. Looked into gearsets which say they good for about 600 :/. Will be going for big power/torque next year aswell.I have a spare box which I'm throwing in. Then the broken one will be done up to a higher standard. I did speak to this guy. Very helpful. 

Sounds like the torque bent the shaft so the 4th gear came away a bit and stripped the gear, I read somewhere that it can take 10 ton before it bends with a solid insert it will take 30!

i had a quaiffe gear set before and when I spoke to them the the gears are no stronger than standard, that was the semi cut one not the straight though. Bloody noisy as well!

good luck.

s

Yeah running boost. Only about a bar atm. Street and dragstrip. (Not a daily anymore) 

Ah right that's good to know. 

I suppose with a gearset can always change gear ratios. 

They can be expensive though.

did you use yours for street use? 

Unbearable noise?