Hi I'm looking to put a g60 final drive in to my mk3 vr6 gearbox would anyone know if this is a straight fit or need other pieces to complete this job. Would anyone recommend someone ondoing this job aswell or can I do it myself. I have both gearboxes already

thanks in advance 

you will need shaft and ringear from the G60,  as its on the diff it means almost a total strip down of both boxes. ARP diff bolts are a must and i would swap out the 5th gear to a diesel one as my VR cruised 1k higher in 5th, this can be done with the box in situ.

if you dont want to do it try Martin @ gas'n'gears (enquiries@gasngears.co.uk)

you need to change the the diff ring gear (ie drill out old rivets that hold ring gear to diff then bolt the G60 ring gear on and use high tensile bolts such as ARP, this will stop the well recorded issue of the rivets working loose and detonating inside the box), i dont know if a  straight diff swap is possible in which case you wouldnt need to swap ring gear? maybe ETKA could help as it might be something like push in drive cups to bolt in (which wouldnt work). as to the diesel 5th here is one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-DIESEL-LONGER-RATIO-5TH-GEARs-TDI-0-769-GOLF-MK4-MK3-MK2-1-8T-G60-ABF-AGU-AWU-/162591808517?hash=item25db3a1c05:g:l2sAAOSw4CFY3aOO

this drops your 5th gear rpm by about 1K which brings it back to what your standard box would be.

the ring gear is attached to the diff by rivets, if you can change the diff and ring gear together (if the G60 and VR diffs are compatible, which im not sure) then not an issue (apart from the usual VW issue of the rivets failing) if you have to use your old diff and the new G60 ring gear you have to remove the rivets and secure the ring gear with high tensile bolts (ARP or VW)

i would also look at getting the flywheel lightened and balanced as this helps the engine rev better.

again Martin can advise.

diff rivet issue link - http://www.vwtransaxles.com/rivet.html its for 020 but still relevant for 02A (which is your box)

Edited by ssaunders