Hello, I've just purchased a VR6T, I no very little about VR6's.. The bloke who I spoke to said he had the whole conversion in the car to take it to OBD2 to support the turbo... 

My question is.. is this necessary?

The ECU I have I think is a M3.8.X with a SOCKET already solder in! I have the wiring loom, maf, TB, the only other thing's I don't have is upper timing chain cover and couple of sensors..

The car was running, on low boost, but now doesn't currently run because they've already started the conversion.

Would it be possible to run the socketed ecu with the standard management already in place?

I'm not quite understanding your question in full, but being an owner of a VRT with an OBD2 ecu, I believe it would be possible to run the ecu as it is now, to an extent. It depends on what the ECU is programmed for exactly (not familiar with your exact ecu), as long as the wiring loom, maf, and tb are being read correctly by the ecu, then you should be ok to run it with how it sits? The CEL could be blinking/flashing constantly if it doesn't like something. I hope this helps somehow, from what I can recall, the MAF was always the pain for me, since ecu UPGRADES are still running on the stock harness. Standalone ecu will get you the best performance out of your VRT with least amount of limitations. I hope this helped somehow, not the best answer, but hopefully someone with more knowledge can see this post and help you out better than I can. Take it easy on your vrt if you get it running.