Need help with picking a turbo

I'm new to the boosted car scene. In need of help to pick the right turbo. Not looking to go big just yet, but just to start with something fun around 350hp-400hp.

So far my built: 12v

Forged piston 9:1 compression

Bore to a 2.9L

All arp hardware

Resurfaced head and block

Short runner

42lb injectors

I'm plan on getting c2 track software

So my next purchase a turbo so I can get the downpipe made.

Again I don't want to break the bank but I don't wanna buy an eBay turbo.

I'm kinda eye balling a Borg Warner turbo, but again don't know to much about turbo and there specs. It overwhelms me haha.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I can highly recommend a GT3071. Produces up to 450hp easily and delivers it really easily. On my VRT its spooling from 1700rpm and by 2500 its off!  By 4000rpm its ripping your face off. I run mine T 11psi and its more than enough for the road frankly. And I've got a diff. The point is that its really well specced for the VR. A friend had a GT3076 and that too was an excellent turbo for the VR. I'd say don't be tempted to go bigger as you simply don't need to. A GT30 frame will make for a quicker real world car as the performance is that much more accessible. HTH

• 3 weeks later...

A 30 is to small !

At 450 hp you are almost flat out and just producing heat. Also you will have a big torque spike at low rpm that's only good for wheel spin or breaking third gear ! 

I would not go any smaller that a 35 or 62mm Borg warner with a big turbine housing 

A 30 is to small !
At 450 hp you are almost flat out and just producing heat. Also you will have a big torque spike at low rpm that's only good for wheel spin or breaking third gear ! 
I would not go any smaller that a 35 or 62mm Borg warner with a big turbine housing 

Thanks for the input. Now would that be the BW s362? If I were to look it up. All this different name for turbos confuses me and overwhelms me haha.
16 hours ago, Keiron said:

A 30 is to small !

Keiron. I'm sorry buy I disagree. A GT30 is rated to 500bhp. I agree that you'll get diminishing returns towards the top end, but I still fail to understand why anyone really needs more than 400bhp in a front wheel drive car anyway. And also RonnyDi has also said that he wants 350-400bhp. I'm proof that a GT30 is perfectly adequate and anything bigger is unnecessary for this power requirement. I think that anyone who reckons they need more bhp simply hasn't been in a turbo'd VR6 with that much power.  On the road there really isn't much that troubles you. And the other point is ensuring the intercooling is sufficient. If it isn't right, it doesn't matter how big your turbo is, you'll produce excessive heat and a drop off in power against boost pressure. 

I built a vr6 turbo with a 3076 in 2006 it did 422whp at awesome gti dyno ! 

I broke 4 third gears in 5 thousand miles so I think I can safely say I know what I'm talking about .

If 11psi is your goal and 300ish bhp is all you want then a 30 is fine  but over 400hp you are really starting to work that turbine .

Its exhaust manifold pressure that's the problem with a vr6 turbo !

I spend half of my life at a dyno and my friend maps one of the most powerful vr6's "r30" in the country , im not just going off what someone has told me I have been there a long time ago !

Edited by Keiron
20 hours ago, RonnyDi said:

Thanks for the input. Now would that be the BW s362? If I were to look it up. All this different name for turbos confuses me and overwhelms me haha.

Yes 362 try btn turbo but they will only list this with the part number so you may have to do a little research .

Keiron. Breaking third gear is nothing to do with the turbo per se. Its a result of a gearbox that is well known to be unable to reliably handle over 400ft lb. i'm told the 2wd gearbox from a 1st gen Seat Leon Cupra R is more robust. I run my car up to 1bar of boost which gives me about 370bhp and the same torque to avoid breaking the O2a. If I do kill it I might uprate, but so far, so reliable. 

It's a result of 447ftlb before 3500rpm ! 

And please don't take my word for it do some research put a bung in your exhaust manifold with a tail and connect your boost gauge it should not be more than a bar of pressure at a bar of boost 1.1 try it !

You need a good boost controller to give you a nice ramping boost curve and a large turbine housing so they can flow 

Edited by Keiron
8 hours ago, chazrad said:

Keiron. Breaking third gear is nothing to do with the turbo per se. Its a result of a gearbox that is well known to be unable to reliably handle over 400ft lb. i'm told the 2wd gearbox from a 1st gen Seat Leon Cupra R is more robust. I run my car up to 1bar of boost which gives me about 370bhp and the same torque to avoid breaking the O2a. If I do kill it I might uprate, but so far, so reliable. 

02m is the only way to go and what's important is that your happy with your car which it sounds like you are ?