Possible Headgasket ? Help need needed

As title suggests I believe I have headgasket failure , over the last few days I've noticed when I've been driving for around 20mins I can see the temp gauge getting up to around 110 degrees, the first time it happened I pulled over and saw steam coming from the expansion tank saw that the cap wasn't sitting flush so bought another and it seems to have fixed the problem, however it's leaking oil from just below the crankcase where big block meets upper - it's not a lot but I can see residue where it's come out.

(I've posted a photo not the best angle)

I'm also not getting any hot air into the cabin is this synonymous with head gasket failure or blocked rad? I've checked oil cap and no creamy sludge on it also checked dipstick, ran car without expansion tank cap to see if it started bubbling but it didn't.

Any help would be truly appreciated!

UPDATE* It's in the garage currently and they're going to inspect it tomorrow (I can hear them scrambling for the calculator already!) lol

IMG_4687.JPG

1 hour ago, Brannonc4 said:

Just thought id update - Mechanic told me that some coolant hoses weren't tightened up enough and could see visible dripping from them, after flushing the coolant it was driven about and temp was back to normal, will be keeping a close eye on it though :)

Good stuff, hopefully that was just the cause of it then..? My finger's are crossed for you.. ;)

Edited by VR6 Supercharged
Add content

Update! - On the drive home from work today car began to overheat again - checked expansion tank and it was empty, filled her up and took it steady on the way home (about 10 miles) and the temp gauge was barely reaching 60 degrees - not sure what to check now, thermostat? would a worn out water pump stop coolant flowing correctly? i'll pull the radiator off on the weekend and check it over <_<

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

23 hours ago, Brannonc4 said:

Update! - On the drive home from work today car began to overheat again - checked expansion tank and it was empty, filled her up and took it steady on the way home (about 10 miles) and the temp gauge was barely reaching 60 degrees - not sure what to check now, thermostat? would a worn out water pump stop coolant flowing correctly? i'll pull the radiator off on the weekend and check it over <_<

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

When your cars parked up for the night put some cardboard underneath to check for any drips in the morning?

With bonnet up run the car and check (with a torch if need be) for leaks up top and below.

The water pump maybe on its way out? Are there any funny noises coming from under bonnet area, squealing/squeaking noises on the water pump side?

With engine running check that your heater blows hot air?

Check weep hole near water pump?

And lastly (only because I had this problem) Check you radiator? Long story short last year I'd been using mine for many tip runs one day and at one point came back to it to see water on the lower part of the front bumper and a small amount on the floor (dry summer day) Thought it a bit strange, so did the taste test (hoping it wasn't dog piss) turned out to be coolant and on closer inspection the radiator had given way/corroded (only slightly) but was weeping non the less, so ended having to fit a new rad.

Hope this may help....? :unsure:    

• 2 weeks later...
On Thursday, March 16, 2017 at 8:55 PM, VR6 Supercharged said:

When your cars parked up for the night put some cardboard underneath to check for any drips in the morning?

With bonnet up run the car and check (with a torch if need be) for leaks up top and below.

The water pump maybe on its way out? Are there any funny noises coming from under bonnet area, squealing/squeaking noises on the water pump side?

With engine running check that your heater blows hot air?

Check weep hole near water pump?

And lastly (only because I had this problem) Check you radiator? Long story short last year I'd been using mine for many tip runs one day and at one point came back to it to see water on the lower part of the front bumper and a small amount on the floor (dry summer day) Thought it a bit strange, so did the taste test (hoping it wasn't dog piss) turned out to be coolant and on closer inspection the radiator had given way/corroded (only slightly) but was weeping non the less, so ended having to fit a new rad.

Hope this may help....? :unsure:    

Did you get to the bottom of the overheating issue?:ph34r:

4 minutes ago, VR6 Supercharged said:

Did you get to the bottom of the overheating issue?:ph34r:

Hi mate, well I believe so! I followed your advice and checked the radiator all seemed fine, also tried the cardboard to see anything under it but nothing - I did however notice a squeal from the engine bay after it warmed up and my supercharger wasn't completely on tight, and i believe that was the source of the noise, anyway... onto the important bit! I took it to RK Engineering in St Agnes who looked it over, basically HG had blown but not going into cylinders (could see small amount of residue coming from block after spraying compressed air, he then tighten the nearest head bolt to the leak which he said didnt look like it had been done up enough, after that he put K-seal through the system and ran it for a bit, I am now no longer losing coolant and can feel the power returning slightly, His prognosis was new HG sooner or later, also SC stripped with new belt and smaller pulleys and boosted, also advised Spacer with mk4 head gasket to lower compression, and finally because my 3rd gear is starting to mash up maybe a v5 or touran 6 speed gearbox. So thats where I'm at currently, He'd put the car up in the air and told me it was generally in good knick but with a lot of these show cars (or ex show cars) they haven't been given the service they require. Ive been told its about a 2 month wait to get the work done but he can do the gearbox earlier :)

2 hours ago, Brannonc4 said:

Hi mate, well I believe so! I followed your advice and checked the radiator all seemed fine, also tried the cardboard to see anything under it but nothing - I did however notice a squeal from the engine bay after it warmed up and my supercharger wasn't completely on tight, and i believe that was the source of the noise, anyway... onto the important bit! I took it to RK Engineering in St Agnes who looked it over, basically HG had blown but not going into cylinders (could see small amount of residue coming from block after spraying compressed air, he then tighten the nearest head bolt to the leak which he said didnt look like it had been done up enough, after that he put K-seal through the system and ran it for a bit, I am now no longer losing coolant and can feel the power returning slightly, His prognosis was new HG sooner or later, also SC stripped with new belt and smaller pulleys and boosted, also advised Spacer with mk4 head gasket to lower compression, and finally because my 3rd gear is starting to mash up maybe a v5 or touran 6 speed gearbox. So thats where I'm at currently, He'd put the car up in the air and told me it was generally in good knick but with a lot of these show cars (or ex show cars) they haven't been given the service they require. Ive been told its about a 2 month wait to get the work done but he can do the gearbox earlier :)

Glad to hear you found the root cause of said problem.. At the end of the day they're old cars (nice ones I may add)  but sadly need looking after due to the fact, once on top of all the little niggles though she'll be mint. To many people neglect their cars these days (not saying you have as you've not long since bought) but most people just get in and drive, hence why the RAC, AA etc make a fortune. Not only that most people look down on our more vintage rides as being sh*t thinking we can't afford a new car.....? Little do they realise just how much time, money and effort we put into them because we love them and the way they look, unlike all the standard boring tin boxes the masses drive these days. Good luck sorting her out an keeping her on the road for the masses to look at through jealous eyes. B)

Edited by VR6 Supercharged
Content