Golf V6 4Motion, difficulty starting when hot

Hey guys,

Last night I drove my V6 4Mo about 30 miles in the rain and stopped for fuel. I noticed the pumps were wet where you hold them but as far as I could tell the actual nozzle (i.e the bit you stick in the car) was dry to the touch so I thought it was OK to use.

After paying, when turning the engine over it wouldn't fire unless I pressed the accelerator pedal, stalled when pulling out of the filling station and was a little hesitant to accelerate for about 4 miles after which it cleared itself.

When I stopped again after 8 miles I still had to press the pedal to get it to start but it seemed to perform fine after that (drove another 6 miles home, overtook a truck and it didn't miss a beat).

Today I went out and started the car from cold and it started and ran faultlessly, drove 8 miles whereupon I again had to press the gas pedal to start it. Shortly afterwards it stalled pulling out of a junction after being driven hard and was again difficult to start.

This only seems to happen when the car is at operating temperature, i.e 90 degrees on the temp gauge. In the process of putting it on ramps today to check various things I started it with the temp gauge between zero and 90 twice and each time it started and ran perfectly.

I did take off the fuel filter to check the fuel pump operation and one or two small water droplets (about enough in total to cover a 20p piece in around 100ml of fuel) came out with the fuel, but nowhere near enough to cause a problem IMO, I mean a little bit like that would just sit at the bottom of the fuel filter which is about the size of a coke can. 

Surely even if a droplet of water did go in the tank, it wouldn't be enough to cause this and it wouldn't happen straight away after adding £10 worth to a basically full tank of fuel and the injection system fully primed and everything? This happened to anyone else? Thanks!

Mine was like this in the new year - not starting well once warm. Was advised to change the coolant temperature sensor. Once changed and the error code cleared on the ecu everything was fine again.

It is not the easiest sensor to get out and replace.

38 minutes ago, Pjc said:

Mine was like this in the new year - not starting well once warm. Was advised to change the coolant temperature sensor. Once changed and the error code cleared on the ecu everything was fine again.

It is not the easiest sensor to get out and replace.

That's the error code i've been given, going to pick up my temp sensor this morning. Will update this in due course, thanks for your help!

• 1 year later...