Another V6 4Motion EPC light

Hi Guys,

2002 V6 4Motion (BDE), misfire between 5 and 6000 rpm accompanied by "EPC" engine management light (aaarrgghh!). Still at least I know it hasn't been gaffa taped over like some.

Owner's manual advises taking the car to a dealership ASAP, any other way to read the fault code? I'm pretty sure I can do the work myself as long as I can find out what the problem is.

Thanks and happy new year to all on here :-) 

16 hours ago, Liam_0404 said:

Is it when you boot it that you get the misfire?

Yes, only when accelerating hard between 5-6000rpm (although EPC light illuminates when revving the engine to this speed in neutral also).

Just got back from the garage who diagnosed a 16705 fault code, i'm told this relates to G28 engine speed sensor?

7 hours ago, Liam_0404 said:

Think that fault code is Crank Sensor, try that first as it shouldn't cost too much! My coilpack was over £200 as I have the all in one unit emoji51.png AUE engine.

A few other people have suggested that TBH but today I followed the steps in this forum thread and the resistances of my crank sensor check out:

10 hours ago, mattvr6 said:

Bde have individual coils, could still be the crank sensor breaking down,even tho it " checks out" not a nice job either

TBH I managed to do the check by driving the front onto ramps yesterday and replacing it doesn't look all that hard, my main concern is whether to buy one and try it.

I hear what you're saying, lots of people are saying crank sensor but they're £80 + VAT from TPS, dead money if it's not the culprit.

Anyone in the Bournemouth area with a BDE whose sensor I could try?

2 hours ago, mattvr6 said:

Ur checking the right one yea? i own the same car and I'm a vw tech there fiddly and tucked away, have u done any data logging?

Looking at the engine from the front (i.e stood in front of the car), it's behind and to the right of the oil filter housing. Held onto the block by a 5mm allen head screw and has a grey 3-pin connector which clips onto a metal tang next to the dipstick tube

Edited by HOTSHOT III