So I've just bought myself a mk3 vr6 brother in law raves about them so thought I'd see what all the fuss about, fair to say ten seconds later I see why! Now I'm stripping it down and rebuilding been doing a bit of digging and seen that there is a 312mm brake upgrade for the front brakes is than upgrade for the rears or is a case of leaving them just getting better discs and pads? If there is what is it and how do I go about doing it? 

Many thanks in advance

Aaron

hi,do you mind if I ask what calipers/brakes you already have on the front as I'm looking for a drivers side front Lucas caliper for my 280mm set up....just in case you decide to go for the 312mm upgrade..also its usually the fronts that are upgraded to 312mm on the vr6,apart from better discs/pads the rears are more than upto the job dude!!

Hi rich, thanks for the info think I'm going to go ahead and do that! The fronts have 288mm discs on at the moment from what I gather anyway like I said just got it so still doing my digging need to buy a new car jack as well my old one has given up on me! ? Don't know if the calliper for that would fit a 280mm set up? 

7 hours ago, Jakesy said:

So I've just bought myself a mk3 vr6 brother in law raves about them so thought I'd see what all the fuss about, fair to say ten seconds later I see why! Now I'm stripping it down and rebuilding been doing a bit of digging and seen that there is a 312mm brake upgrade for the front brakes is than upgrade for the rears or is a case of leaving them just getting better discs and pads? If there is what is it and how do I go about doing it? 

Many thanks in advance

Aaron

Just thought I'd put my pennies worth in on this. Why are you wanting to upgrade the front brakes with a bigger setup? The 288mm brakes are more than up to the job of stopping the car as VW intended. Unless you're after looks of having a bigger brake setup behind your wheels I would go for just uprated discs and pads and possibly Goodridge hoses up front. Bigger brakes will mean bigger wheels as the 312 set up won't fit with standard 15" wheels.:ph34r: 

That's fine like I'm said I'm completely new to the dub scene. However I know that the guy before me has put uprated cams and bigger fuel pump on the engine, also very likely it has had a remap! It's very lively to say the least plus I have 16" bbs wheels which should house the bigger brakes. Plus who doesn't like the look of bigger brakes... ? I have kinetic drilled and grooved 312mm discs and brembo pads coming with overhauled and serviced and painted carriers and callipers also got a set of six HEL braided hoses for front and rear just need to get better discs and pads for the rear and I think that'll be a pretty good set up? Or don't you agree? 

Cheers

Aaron

5 hours ago, Jakesy said:

That's fine like I'm said I'm completely new to the dub scene. However I know that the guy before me has put uprated cams and bigger fuel pump on the engine, also very likely it has had a remap! It's very lively to say the least plus I have 16" bbs wheels which should house the bigger brakes. Plus who doesn't like the look of bigger brakes... ? I have kinetic drilled and grooved 312mm discs and brembo pads coming with overhauled and serviced and painted carriers and callipers also got a set of six HEL braided hoses for front and rear just need to get better discs and pads for the rear and I think that'll be a pretty good set up? Or don't you agree? 

Cheers

Aaron

Hi Aaron, sorry if my first comments seemed on the negative side? This was not ment to be the case. What you state for your brake upgrade sounds well, I was only trying to save you money in the interim period as before brake upgrades you may want to upgrade the suspension first, coilovers, uprated anti roll bars and polybushing (unless all this has already been done) as all these make a massive difference to how the car rides/handles on our tu*d British roads for sure. I myself was going to upgrade the front brakes with a nice Tarox calipers/discs etc as they look excellent, thing is they can't be seen through/behind my wheels so decided not to bother. So I just uprated the disc's and pads all round. All I will say is my VR is pushing 275bhp and is still on the 288mm set up and stops just fine. As for plug leads and plugs? I would save your money and shy away from 10mm leads, I have standard leads on mine and they're more than upto the job. Plugs wise, NGK Platinum are in mine which I'm more than happy with, but again everybodies different on what they use/and or like.... Hope it helps. Mark.:huh:  

12 hours ago, VR6 Supercharged said:

Hi Aaron, sorry if my first comments seemed on the negative side? This was not ment to be the case. What you state for your brake upgrade sounds well, I was only trying to save you money in the interim period as before brake upgrades you may want to upgrade the suspension first, coilovers, uprated anti roll bars and polybushing (unless all this has already been done) as all these make a massive difference to how the car rides/handles on our tu*d British roads for sure. I myself was going to upgrade the front brakes with a nice Tarox calipers/discs etc as they look excellent, thing is they can't be seen through/behind my wheels so decided not to bother. So I just uprated the disc's and pads all round. All I will say is my VR is pushing 275bhp and is still on the 288mm set up and stops just fine. As for plug leads and plugs? I would save your money and shy away from 10mm leads, I have standard leads on mine and they're more than upto the job. Plugs wise, NGK Platinum are in mine which I'm more than happy with, but again everybodies different on what they use/and or like.... Hope it helps. Mark.:huh:  

Hi mark,

No not at all, the brake upgrade is setting me back £300 including braided hoses. Car already has coilovers on just need to poly bush and upgrade the anti roll bar. I've had a little nosey at the tarox brake set up I don't have just over a grand lol very nice though! 

Can you tell me where I can purchase an uprated anti roll bar and what sort of make to go for? Also I've been looking at polybushing and saw a set on eurocarparts £236 for what they call a handling pack this is where I can't differentiate which bush goes where especially in the pic anyway! Except I'm sure the yellow ones are top mount bush? These a decent set or would you recommend others, maybe cheaper or better? (Not necessarily looking to build cheap all round)  http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.8_1997/p/performance-cars-styling/performance-steering/performance-styling-parts/performance-bushes/?973449051&1&8bda4bcf2f5652e97291e32e352db5e7be82358a&000973

58 minutes ago, Jakesy said:

Hi mark,

No not at all, the brake upgrade is setting me back £300 including braided hoses. Car already has coilovers on just need to poly bush and upgrade the anti roll bar. I've had a little nosey at the tarox brake set up I don't have just over a grand lol very nice though! 

Can you tell me where I can purchase an uprated anti roll bar and what sort of make to go for? Also I've been looking at polybushing and saw a set on eurocarparts £236 for what they call a handling pack this is where I can't differentiate which bush goes where especially in the pic anyway! Except I'm sure the yellow ones are top mount bush? These a decent set or would you recommend others, maybe cheaper or better? (Not necessarily looking to build cheap all round)  http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Golf_2.8_1997/p/performance-cars-styling/performance-steering/performance-styling-parts/performance-bushes/?973449051&1&8bda4bcf2f5652e97291e32e352db5e7be82358a&000973

Hi Aaron, I must admit they are a bit pricey for sure. Bushes wise, Powerflex ones are on mine but don't get the top mount bushes are standard ones from the likes of Euro carparts are more than upto the job as the Powerfex ones squeak. Anti roll bar wise, I have H&R ones on mine back and front. Have a look on Awesome GTi's website and that'll give you an idea. Mark. :D

1 hour ago, VR6 Supercharged said:

Hi Aaron, I must admit they are a bit pricey for sure. Bushes wise, Powerflex ones are on mine but don't get the top mount bushes are standard ones from the likes of Euro carparts are more than upto the job as the Powerfex ones squeak. Anti roll bar wise, I have H&R ones on mine back and front. Have a look on Awesome GTi's website and that'll give you an idea. Mark. :D

Hi Mark

Thats brilliant I'll have a good nose and see what I can find thanks for all the advise and tips! ??

many thanks 

Aaron