Hi all!

Been off the forums for a while now since selling an Ibiza FR TDi few years ago. Going to be looking for a VR6 in the new year as I've been putting it off for far too long now! Previous motors include Audi S3, Bora Derv, Ibiza Derv & now have a BMW 330d.

My best mate had a VR6 after stumbling across it on the web with little MOT left. He already had a MK3 1.4 in white as a run around but saw a matching white one with a 2.8 lump and thought yes! There was a reason for the little MOT though, after a few days of playing around in it the test came, and failed! The emissions machine melted I think & the car nearly bent in half on the ramp for the lack of sills. At this point we thought.....s##t!

The strip down begun and the sills were cut out, salvaged wings and doors where found and a new cat was fitted. Only thing was, it was freezing winter with no garage and little money at this point. I had to work more so his interest died off, and the day came where I went round and the car had vanished :( sold as a runner but in need of work for the MOT. I haven't seen it since or heard anything of it locally. From this day I've always said I'll have a VR6, purely for the noise from that engine!

Besides the usual rusty silks, arches and boot lids, anything else I need to know about them? The S3 died a death when the front end got demolished by another car, after spending months off the road for an engine rebuild once the head gasket had decided it no longer wanted to do its job! They had issues with water pumps, VR6s the same?

I saw the club stand at this years VW Festival at harewood house, something I've been to for the past 5 years now, but wanting to take my VR when I finally get one!

Some pictures of my mates VR6 -

IMG_1476534692.605537.thumb.jpg.39efed5e

IMG_1476534722.486472.thumb.jpg.07c2d807

IMG_1476534754.581768.thumb.jpg.a6e6e8d1

& the old S3

IMG_1476534816.870091.thumb.jpg.1e34038c

IMG_1476534841.265170.thumb.jpg.9e92a680

& finally the Bora & 330d!

IMG_1476534879.418549.thumb.jpg.19200c7b

IMG_1476534905.164762.thumb.jpg.57226ca2

Hi mate, welcome to the club! Vw festival is brilliant, can't wait till next year! Shame about the S3 I really like those after owning a 1.8t many years ago, should be a good time to get into MK3 VR's as they seem to be creeping up in value, though it seems there are still some bargains out there! What sort of spec and money are you going to be looking at spending?

Hi if you are looking for a vr6 best idea is to make sure that there is no rust under the underseal that vw put on them I bought one that looked good and after peeling everything off it it was totally rotten but was to far in it to back out have a look at some of my pictures and you will see where they go . Everything mechanical for it is readily available for them and after my experience the shell is definitely the most important thing if you want a decent one but you can't find many decent 3 doors without rust for under 2 grand these days certainly in Scotland anyway.

Hi if you are looking for a vr6 best idea is to make sure that there is no rust under the underseal that vw put on them I bought one that looked good and after peeling everything off it it was totally rotten but was to far in it to back out have a look at some of my pictures and you will see where they go . Everything mechanical for it is readily available for them and after my experience the shell is definitely the most important thing if you want a decent one but you can't find many decent 3 doors without rust for under 2 grand these days certainly in Scotland anyway.

That's what killed my mates VR. Watching a few on eBay currently, one that's cheap but I think the reason for that is because it looks like it has a serious amount of rust on it. Usual places!! Are there many parts that have been remanufactured by another company but better spec? E.g BMW parts can be made by meyle and be much better quality!

Your VR6 looks mint though!

Yeah took a lot of work and money but always worth it for that sound and drive .meyle parts are available for them eurocarparts is not bad for price but avoid eBay for modifying parts nothing fits properly another good tip is to do a waterless coolant upgrade stops any chance of overheating I have also put a 50mm alloy rad with twin fans makes a big difference

Yeah took a lot of work and money but always worth it for that sound and drive .meyle parts are available for them eurocarparts is not bad for price but avoid eBay for modifying parts nothing fits properly another good tip is to do a waterless coolant upgrade stops any chance of overheating I have also put a 50mm alloy rad with twin fans makes a big difference

Didn't realise vr's had a cooling issue? Is a bigger rad a common and worth while upgrade??