Holset hx40 16cm

Awesome turbo's, sorting out some supplies for them. Not used that one myself but know a few owners who love the 35/40's, some 12v owners. 16cm is probably about 0.95ar or so, you using a modified hybrid turbine or stock twin scroll?

Get your fuelling big enough and check the wg spring isn't some 30psi+ one if you're not ready for it! Diesel turbo's don't forget so high psi.  As an idea of spool on these 700hp turbo's;

hx_working.jpg

They can handle low boost or high - good all rounder for these engines, if you see figures for like, 350hp/400hp max, then that's probably a reference to the fact that they are designed for diesels and their lower power figures, on petrol, a H1C can do about 640hp, HX40 can do 700hp. There can be a wide range of housings for the turbine side though which can affect spool.

Compressor map;

HX40PRO2.jpg

Edited by RBPE

It's generally assumed that;

17cm - 1a/r

So to work out others;

16cm - (16/17) - 0.94ar

14cm - 0.82ar and so on

So, the 16cm would be like a 0.95ar Garrett for example, so more aimed at higher boost/hp set ups really on the 6 pots, probably still boost mid 3000's at lower boost. Other things to think about too - are you going to use a proper twin scroll tubular manifold to slave the gasses, that would obviously help spool, or if you're running low boost or talking about low air/blade speeds, is the turbulent air from the divide going to be something of a hindrance? Does it balance out or is negligible with the twin-scroll housing etc?

There are some with 14cm and some with T3 GT30 esque turbine sides which may be more appropriate, but if you're thinking of upping the boost at a later date then they're all good for 500+hp and it depends on what you can live with/where you want power.

So to answer your original question...... quite a large housing for your goals, somewhere 3500-4k rpm at a guess, maybe be a lot better depending how you sort the exhaust mani/slaving of the gases - any are good really, H1/HX35 seem similar, both using same turbine sides so probably hard to tell difference, probably great on a 20psi 500hp set up, HX40 if you're aiming for 550-600hp+ would be good on the 16cm housing.

Edited by RBPE

I do plan to up the boost one day as I plan to 4wd it. I don't want to get a large turbo for the future and have to deal with a very laggy engine . I'll see if I can find a hx35 with maybe a 12cm or 14cm turbine . When I'm after more power I'll then go for something like the hx40

Compressor racing's only got the 16cm in at the mo, make sure whichever you buy is a proper one if you can, stickers look like this on them;

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Holset-HX35-600bhp-water-cooled-twin-scroll-T3-turbo-Not-Garrett-GT35-S300-/262658384111?hash=item3d27a8e0ef:g:HtwAAOSwvzRXzDbq

This has a 12 on it? Ad looks a bit hmm though!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Holset-Turbocharger-Hx35w-/152273948210?hash=item23743c0e32:g:czAAAOSw8w1X-5Ml

MMMM Billet!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1998-2002-DODGE-RAM-5-9-24V-CUMMINS-DIESEL-HOLSET-TURBO-HX35W-PN-3590104-/131970849706?hash=item1eba135baa:g:ZJ8AAOSwYIxX2dud

I think there's some big commercial turbo sellers that you can put part numbers into but finding out turbine side info's usually the pain!