Mk 3 VR6 Major work needed on wiring looms behind dashboard

Mk3 Golf VR6

Hello,

Halfords recently fitted a new radio, managed to burn out the live feed to the radio and melt/burn a large of wires behind the dashboard.  I've had a Main VW dealer inspect it, who advise it is uneconomical to repair due to the extensive damage and that as VW no longer make spares for the VR6, the repair would be a very long process to check the damage to the bits and bobs attached to the ,melted wires. Now waiting for Halfords to come back to me with their proposals.

A couple of questions:

• Anyone had a similar experience and can advise on next steps
  • Recommend an auto electric place who know about VR6
  • Sources of new wiring harnesses for the VR6

Needless to say I've had the VR6 since new, regularly maintained and well looked after and recently had the gearbox reconditioned.

Thanks

R

I'd look for someone breaking a VR6 and try to acquire all the looms, they just plug in each end.   Might also be worth changing the fusebox if the meltingness has made it back to there.

Its a do-able job with some patience.  I suspect its the sort of job VW wouldn't want and would change a shitload of labour costs. 

OK - You're a little far from me but there is an excellent chap in Slough who builds looms for conversions etc. I'm sure if you removed yours and sent it to him he'd be able to completely repair it. 

He's on FB under the name James E Looms 

Wow that's pretty bad, but not surprising given the company involved.

You would probably be best getting the wiring loom from another golf vr6, there are plenty being broken for spares currently so should be a case of replacing the damaged looms... big job though taking dash out and recommend doing the heater matrix.

try ebay?

dash removal takes a bit of time but isnt difficult, i have changed my dash over in 3 hours, once it's out the looms and fuse box is fully accessible.

If Halfords caused the mess i would be seeking compensation- maybe worthwhile getting a few estimates to repair and have ready to make a claim

• 2 weeks later...