Ignition switch replacement

Pain in the arse job

grabbed this from another forum and assuming you have a mk3 golf:

It's quit possible you can do this with only the column cover removed. Certainly it can be done with just the column cover and steering wheel removed. However I'm replacing my ignition switch again because I bought the $10 one and not the $30 lifetime warranty one. My key cylinder was worn so I'm replacing it as well.

If you don't know how to get your column out refer to post http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2532481

DSCF0210.jpg

DSCF0215.jpg

DSCF0216.jpg

DSCF0217.jpg

DSCF0220.jpg

There you have it with the new $30 key cylinder installed. It simply slid in and locked into place.

oh what a faff. got the whole column out, had to heat of the splined shaft and bash it off with large hammer. replaced the ignition switch no problem. On re-assembly seemed the steering column was now too short (wtf)! Think issue with telescopicness or something. managed to knock the tube out a little, it fitted eventually.

(bearing in mind that I was fitting all this on the roadside at night with a pen torch gripped between my teeth).

Test drive proved successful so I let wifey take it to work.

She rings me this afternoon to say key won't turn anymore. 

Grrr!

Managed to free up the lock with repeated spraying of WD40 and cleaning the black sludge that oozed out. Key works fine now but;

a) No steering lock

B) Radio has to be turned off manually now.

c) Play in steering column where there was none before.

I reckon I will have to dismantle it all again, but that's a job for another day.